Changing camera makes

Name
John Larson
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, its been quite a long time since I have been on here, ok I at the moment use olympus E3s but am seriously looking at the Nikon D800 can you tell me what are your thoughts about this model, I am wanting charper pics and better focusing.

Have you looked at the Nikon D800 thread? Just asking. If you want my opinion you would be a fool not to get it, but you do need quality lenses to go with it. Best camera I have ever owned

Last edited:
I have an Olympus E5 and a D800, I haven't used the E3, I think they are similar ergonomically.

Tbh I get super sharp pics on the E5 and don't find any issues with focussing, I only really use centre spot focussing though. The Olympus 50-200 and 12-60 that I use it with are, imo, fantastic. Depending on what lenses you own I am not sure that the change will give you what you are after, especially given the cost of the D800.

The D800 is still quite new to me, I do love it but with some caveats. The 36 mp sensor is brilliant, the dynamic range is far better than the Olympus. Used with a 50mm f 1.4g it is quite fast and accurate to focus although the Oly feels as good with the two lenses mentioned. I do agree with what the reviews say, the D800 will show up any flaws in lens or shooting style when viewed at 100% on these monster files.

I am keeping my E5 for zoom lens work as I doubt I will ever be able to better the quality of those lenses on a full frame body, in full frame terms they give me 24-560mm coverage with a x1.4 teleconverter.

The limit for the E5, for me is the low mega-pixel count making cropping difficult and low light performace, it really isn't good above iso 400, another area where the D800 shines.

In summary outdoors, good light, various subjects the Oly with the two mentioned lenses is superb.

Low light, cropping, big prints and detailed landscapes with tripod etc. the D800 is superb.

If I could only have one camera it probably wouldn't be the D800 given the cost of it and the lenses I would want to cover everything I like to shoot.

I am praying for a new Olympus body that will take these lenses, keep the oly colours, focus properly with them and up the mp to around 18mp.

I think what I am saying is it depends on your lenses existing and budget for new ones.

Last edited:
Golly... :D How much of a crop is that? 300? 400%?

No idea Alen ,just posted it to give some idea of how good this camera and lens is. It was only a "snapshot".

Just think what a 300mm+ lens can do, makes use of teleconverters obsolete

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, I have the cost of a D800 and I have a need for two lenses at the moment a 155-100 £800 sigma and 20-70 £1269 both new nikon these are what I have been advised to get but they are expensive any other advise on lenses ?

The advise came from a dealer so of course they want a good sale but they have been good to me in the past, srs watford.

fantastic camera, sure they are fantastic lenses (is the 1st one you mention a prime lens, not sure).

I'm still unconvinced that you need a D800 given your stated aim.

If you buy the best then you will not be hampered by your gear, I went for the D800 for a variety of reasons but if I was getting one camera atm I would probably choose a D7100

I would get a 50mm prime (mine's a 1.4g version and is great)

Last edited:
fantastic camera, sure they are fantastic lenses (is the 1st one you mention a prime lens, not sure).

I'm still unconvinced that you need a D800 given your stated aim.

If you buy the best then you will not be hampered by your gear, I went for the D800 for a variety of reasons but if I was getting one camera atm I would probably choose a D7100

I would get a 50mm prime (mine's a 1.4g version and is great)

I know what you mean about not being sure, but I am wanting a work horse something that gives me fast focus likes bad light, etc i just have a good feeling with this camera and I know I am paying a lot of money but if I dont spend it the wife will :naughty:The dealer came up with another choice of lenses today that are cheaper and very good he says. A 24-85 £429 and a 150-500 £749 but I am going to look into these lenses now :shrug: I just will have one chace at getting this right money once spent thats it then :bang:

Yey i have ordered my Nikon D800 and a 24-70 f2.8 should be here tomorrow, its going to be a long day at work.

Enjoy. IMO, it's the best pound for pound dslr out there today.

Well I got my Nikon D800 and 24-70 lens wow i love this setup been out all weekend with it, it was a lot of money but don't care its worth it, thank you all for the help and advise, i am a happy bunny :D

Enjoy it :), you do realise you can never blame shortcomings in your equipment again?

Make sure you get a powerful computer to handle the huge files ,particularly, if you take RAW photos.

Lol sponner I know what you mean. renu I have been told about the pc problem by the camera dealer and am on with it as we speak.

Back