Changing camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I am struggling with my 30d as the arthritis in my wrists is giving me grief when using the 30d.
Has anyone got any ideas on what compact camera really lives up to quality etc, I suppose what I am looking for is a compact that will give me the best results in comparison (albeit a slim one) to a dslr.
Much appreciated

Shorn

a DSLR such as the 400D is far lighter and will give you the results you are used to. I too suffer with arthritis and i have to carry a 1Ds2 around with me.

I think there is no compact camera that will come close to a DSLR, go lighter, if you MUST go with a compact then the very strange sigma DP2 I guess would produce images close to DSLR

Hello, I am struggling with my 30d as the arthritis in my wrists is giving me grief when using the 30d.
Has anyone got any ideas on what compact camera really lives up to quality etc, I suppose what I am looking for is a compact that will give me the best results in comparison (albeit a slim one) to a dslr.
Much appreciated

Shorn

New Olympus E-P1 is DSLR quality, and very small and light. Could have been made for you :) Panasonic G1 and GH1 are similar.

A cheaper option could be the Panasonic LX-3 which shares just about everything from its Leica counterpart. Zoom is limited, but at least it starts nice and wide.

New Olympus E-P1 is DSLR quality, and very small and light. Could have been made for you :) Panasonic G1 and GH1 are similar.
Seen the rumours of a soon-to-be-announced Panasonic answer to the E-P1?

613130846_6EQJt-O.jpg

The GF1. Likely to be a bit cheaper than the Olympus and should (if it works like the other G models) focus rather quicker.... A Leica version is also likely if you are a brand snob with more money than sense. ;)

613130846_6EQJt-O.jpg

The GF1. Likely to be a bit cheaper than the Olympus and should (if it works like the other G models) focus rather quicker.... A Leica version is also likely if you are a brand snob with more money than sense. ;)

Oooo that looks interesting! It's the future I tell you ;) Samsung have got an even more radical camera scheduled for this year, also Micro 4/3rds format.

This is going to be fun :)

Oooo that looks interesting! It's the future I tell you ;)
Doesn't it?

You know Panasonic make a Leica lens adapter?

3130276705_40cb331d68.jpg

But the sensor size means even the (relatively expensive) Voigtlander Heliar 12mm is only a 24mm equivalent. :(

I want w i d e lenses!

An interesting (potential) prospect is because of the short back focus of these Micro 4/3rds cameras, which allows ample room for an adaptor to be slotted in, in theory you should be able to fit any lens on to them and get 100% full functions.

Well, it would take a clever adpator, full of electronics and data translation stuff, and I guess some functions just won't transfer between brands, but it's a temping prospect. Sigma are the sort of chaps that might take it on and maybe we could fit Leica lenses and Zeiss, not to mention all our existing Canons and Nikkors.

613130846_6EQJt-O.jpg

very nice!! i'm a bit of a lumix fanboy...really like the look of the LX3 and the results I've seen

this little beast looks like a great step forward!

very nice!! i'm a bit of a lumix fanboy...really like the look of the LX3 and the results I've seen

this little beast looks like a great step forward!

It will blitz the LX3 on image quality. Even a 4/3rds sensor is several times bigger than the tiny chips found in compacts (y)

I hope they make an electronic viewfinder to slip in the hot shoe :)

off beam perhaps but might a wrist strap help?

I use them on my 1d mk2s and they mean I don't have to hold on when I'm not shooting, makes a great difference - jacobs sell better ones than the canon ones

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but might the new Canon G11 compact (subject to us seeing the higher ISO results) be a candidate? I suppose it depends on what you shoot, but it strikes me as a very well featured compact, and if the results above ISO 80 are on par with the findings on DPReview for base ISO, it looks as though it could replace a bagful of kit.

Just a thought from a noob!

Cheers

George

Back