changing colour settings on 550d?

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
No
Hi all.
I have a canon 550d and a friend has told me you can take a picture of for example a beach and only have the sea in colour??!
I know you can always photoshop pictures after for this effect but i cant seem to do it on camera? Can this really be done?

Not as far as I know. Maybe be able to do that using Magic Lantern though.

It would be very fidley to do on a camera. Painting the area to be in colour using the cursor keys? It's quite easy to do in Lightroom.

gblades said:
It would be very fidley to do on a camera. Painting the area to be in colour using the cursor keys? It's quite easy to do in Lightroom.

You highlight the colour you want to keep and then take the shot, no editing required at all, that's how it works on the canon S95 anyway

How well does it work though?

I can imagine if you are doing it on a beach for example and there is a boat with some blue on it then you could have issues. It's difficult choosing the threshold. Much better to do it in post processing so it comes out exactly how you want it to.

Well i dont think this can be done as i cant see a edit setting for a feature like this on the 550d. Has it got anything to do with RAW files.?

If you did have the feature it would only work when shooting in jpeg mode I would guess. My 600d has very basic editing but not when shooting in raw.

If you are shooting in raw what are you using to process? If you have Lightroom then it's easy to paint the area you want in b&w and then reduce the colour in that area.

Back