Changing from 27”iMac 2017

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Morning all,

I’m looking to change and move away from the iMac range which I’ve used for the last 10 or so years, reason for change is to move to a standalone monitor so in the future I will just need to change the Mac unit (studio, Mini etc…). It’s quite frustrating that the iMac can’t be used as a monitor without spending a few hundred pounds if at all.
I’m looking at the Benq271c, looking online there is a lot of debate re Mac’s and 4k screen and I just wondered if anyone has any specific experience using a 4k screen with Lightroom, specifically around editing usage and zooming in for local adjustments etc? Also any general comments around Mac and a 4k would be useful

Thanks for any feedback

Wolfy

Morning all,

I’m looking to change and move away from the iMac range which I’ve used for the last 10 or so years, reason for change is to move to a standalone monitor so in the future I will just need to change the Mac unit (studio, Mini etc…). It’s quite frustrating that the iMac can’t be used as a monitor without spending a few hundred pounds if at all.
I’m looking at the Benq271c, looking online there is a lot of debate re Mac’s and 4k screen and I just wondered if anyone has any specific experience using a 4k screen with Lightroom, specifically around editing usage and zooming in for local adjustments etc? Also any general comments around Mac and a 4k would be useful

Thanks for any feedback

Wolfy
:eek:o_O You sure ?

I bought a Studio and a BenQ27 - it was a bit fraught setting it up so don't listen to a damn thing Adobe chat tell you: 3 rude men who could not answer simple questions...however, I love my BenQ screen and the Studio. I don't do video so I didn't go for the bigger of the Studio set ups. The height of the screen is adjustable, it rotates on both axes although I don't turn it into portrait mode very often - that might change when I get the new printer next month. I really like the matt screen and sometimes being able to stand up to edit it. I bought mine from the Flashcentre at the photo show and their help line was useful and helpful. I also was able to order an Elinchrom power bank for just the postage. So worth a look seeing how their current prices compare.

I bought a Studio and a BenQ27 - it was a bit fraught setting it up so don't listen to a damn thing Adobe chat tell you: 3 rude men who could not answer simple questions...however, I love my BenQ screen and the Studio. I don't do video so I didn't go for the bigger of the Studio set ups. The height of the screen is adjustable, it rotates on both axes although I don't turn it into portrait mode very often - that might change when I get the new printer next month. I really like the matt screen and sometimes being able to stand up to edit it. I bought mine from the Flashcentre at the photo show and their help line was useful and helpful. I also was able to order an Elinchrom power bank for just the postage. So worth a look seeing how their current prices compare.
Thanks for the response, I take it from your response it’s a little more than plug and play to get going then?

Thanks for the response, I take it from your response it’s a little more than plug and play to get going then?
It turned out to be more difficult than it should have been because of the Adobe chat people. I was offered a walk through by a chap from the Flash Centre which involved using air drop. My software was not set to go. I had watched a video by J A Kost which made it very clear which docs had to be migrated to ensure my templates and settings went across and where she said they were to be found. I then checked on the chat as it was an older video of hers. They could not tell me where to find the documents; they could not initially help me with why the CC app would not download; when one of them did, they then ignored my instruction not to start the download as I needed to attend a zoom meeting. He started both downloads and told me that I would not be able to get access the next day. When Asked why he just said "because I know"; then just to be more annoying, he told me that I would lose everything if I did not listen to him. He was also unable to tell me a route to finding the folder because he could not work "blind' and told me to call my "broadband guy' and get better speed... the first one told me to do something else wrong and then cut the call when he could not answer my question about the folder. I could not have my system in a mess as I had a shoot two days later so I went on to Apple to get rebooted and start again... So I wrote myself all the steps I did eventually take after the Apple Guy helped me get back to square one. I am happy to send those to you if you go ahead. Whilst it was a pain and quite stressy I am glad I did it. The logitech chat were equally useless and unable to explain feedback issues with zoom with their camera which was read as a different model: it needed the Hz changing in my audio settings and, when feedback did jump in, all they had to do was tell me to use headphones with a built in microphone!!

Glad I did it though. The screen is excellent. The studio has so much more oomph...

Back