Changing from DSLR to compact!

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
I've finally decided to give my Nikon D7100 to my grandson who already has an 18-55 and a 55-200 so I was thinking of keeping my 18-200 mk2 and either try to sell it to fund a decent compact, or possibly do some sort of part exchange deal with somebody like Camera Jungle, MPB, or Wex. The other alternative is to do a swap on here. I am aware by the way of the limitations of a compact compared to a DSLR. I would prefer a viewfinder and 1inch sensor, any thoughts?

Possibly not quite what you have in mind but if you can find a Panasonic GM5 with a 12-32 and a 45-150 you'll have a good quality outfit with a M43 sensor and very little weight. I have two bodies (because I don't like changing lenses) and wouldn't be without them...

Cameras Panasonic GM5 white background SL300 DSCF3760.JPG

I dumped a D7100 a few years ago and replaced it with a Lumix LX100, and as excellent as the Nikon was I have no regrets. I found myself taking more photographs as a result. I did eventually miss the longer end of things but loved the portability and lack of fuss, so ended up falling into the world of Fuji as a kind of halfway between the 2 worlds

I have a Panasonic TZ100 which is a 1" compact camera with a 25-250mm zoom, it has an EVF.

Another possibility is a Micro Four Thirds but GM5's seem to be few and far between and expensive whereas a slightly larger RF style camera such as the Panasonic GX80 can sometimes be found cheaper. These can be used with a either a 14-140mm or the tiny 14-42mm kit zoom. Personally I wouldn't touch the 12-32mm as it doesn't have a focus ring and if you want to manual focus you need to do it by touch with a sliding scale on the rear screen and as I do MF now and again I wouldn't be happy with that. If you're happy with the lack of conventional manual focus ability I suppose it's an option.

Last edited:
You could do a lot worse than a Sony RX100 III or higher (for the EVF).... stick a little grip on it and it still goes in a pocket no problem.

Reactions: Nod
Thanks Guys, I'll check the specs and the prices of the various models suggested,

Depending upon your budget, consider the Sony RX100 Mk7, it has a lot going for it. It's far from just a point and shoot compact, it has a lot going for it buried down in its menus. I use it as a go anywhere camera for shooting stock and personal photography, but only stock in good light. It's no substitute for my D750's. My old D7100 lives in a bag with a D7200 and my DX lenses, there as a backup system.

Depending upon your budget, consider the Sony RX100 Mk7, it has a lot going for it. It's far from just a point and shoot compact, it has a lot going for it buried down in its menus. I use it as a go anywhere camera for shooting stock and personal photography, but only stock in good light. It's no substitute for my D750's. My old D7100 lives in a bag with a D7200 and my DX lenses, there as a backup system.

From what I understand the VI and VII RX100 have a drop in image quality in comparison to previous models. I'd go with a V.

I dumped a D7100 a few years ago and replaced it with a Lumix LX100, and as excellent as the Nikon was I have no regrets. I found myself taking more photographs as a result. I did eventually miss the longer end of things but loved the portability and lack of fuss, so ended up falling into the world of Fuji as a kind of halfway between the 2 worlds
I can vouch for the LX100. I still have all my DSLR kit and use it regular but when I am just out and about the LX100 is a mindblowing bit of kit. Just hope mine doesn't suffer the dreaded dusty sensor issue I have read so much about.

If you're happy with fixed lens you could look at one of the Fuji X100's

I used to have a Lumix LX5 which was a great little camera for travel and hiking and gave very sharp images when used in decent light. One day, I switched it on, the lens half-opened then stopped and the camera never worked again. I was left with a broken camera body and a also perfectly good lens that could not be used again. After that, I vowed never to buy a fixed lens camera again, so moved to a GF1 with a couple of small lenses (20mm f1.7, 12-32mm f3.5-5.6). The LF1 was an excellent choice, but limited by its 12Mp sensor and was eventually replaced by a GX80. I'm really happy with the GX80 for travel/hiking.

I've just got another Nikon 1 V1, very compact, interchangeable lenses and with the FT-1 adapter it can use your remaining Nikon lenses if required. :)

Back