Changing Location - Not Getting the Shots I Want

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
I was back in the UK last week, spending a few days on The Gower. Despite some good weather I'm a bit disappointed in the photos I took. My normal habitat these days is the eastern Alps, but even on holiday in Scandinavia last year I was getting some decent images. I don't know whether it's the light or whether I didn't have my coastal mojo on. Has anyone else experienced difficulties getting good shots in a strange location. Theoretically The Gower should have been an easy subject.

Photographically, I think familiarity breeds not contempt but 'seeing'; the better you know a place, the easier it is to find good photos in it. The caveat, of course, is that the place must be appropriate for what you want to do - the city is of little use to a landscape photographer. Travel to somewhere new and it's easy to take the big and obvious (and often over-photographed), but less easy to do something a bit different and really satisfying.

I've had two trips to the Gower with a camera (and a few more to the Pembroke coast, where the scenery is fairly similar even though the geology is different) and have found that, for me at least, the light is critical. I've taken some truly boring pictures there, and just one or two I quite like. Don't know it well enough, don't know (as opposed to guess) which bits look good in what type of light. I must go again.......

Photographically, I think familiarity breeds not contempt but 'seeing'; the better you know a place, the easier it is to find good photos in it. The caveat, of course, is that the place must be appropriate for what you want to do - the city is of little use to a landscape photographer. Travel to somewhere new and it's easy to take the big and obvious (and often over-photographed), but less easy to do something a bit different and really satisfying.

I've had two trips to the Gower with a camera (and a few more to the Pembroke coast, where the scenery is fairly similar even though the geology is different) and have found that, for me at least, the light is critical. I've taken some truly boring pictures there, and just one or two I quite like. Don't know it well enough, don't know (as opposed to guess) which bits look good in what type of light. I must go again.......
I agree with John about seeing but not about familiarity. The better I know a place, the harder it is to 'see' it.

Sometimes things just don't come together.

I find it best to explore with out the camera first
I'm the opposite, I like to have my camera gear (or at least a camera) if I go walkabout. It's supprising what you can find on a mooch about, I bumped into deer the other day. Been stuffed if I hadn't had a camera with me.

I find you need the light for the gower (I live local-ish) it can be a bit bland otherwise.
Thanks, I'm actually quite relieved to hear that. Makes me feel not quite so bad about myself as a photographer. I'll post a couple of highlights here when I've finished processing.

OK, so I've finished post-processing (ON1 Photo Raw 2019, in case you're interested). A couple are keepers and I've learned a little bit about what I'd do differently next time. Feel free to cc.

Attachments

• 08092019_9085925.jpg
    08092019_9085925.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 12092019_9126395.jpg
    12092019_9126395.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 13092019_9136461.jpg
    13092019_9136461.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 48
OK, so I've finished post-processing (ON1 Photo Raw 2019, in case you're interested). A couple are keepers and I've learned a little bit about what I'd do differently next time. Feel free to cc.

Midday light is not your friend and I'd work on finding stronger compositions - there aren't any real strong focal points here. Look at coastal photographers like Jenifer Bunnett and Edd Allen for a little inspiration

I usually learn a new place. I look at the pictures. And if I feel inspired I go there.

If you're used to the Alps you'll probably find almost anywhere else a little tame! The delights of places like Gower are much more subtle and you do maybe need to tune in to them - especially inland.

Personally I'm in the familiarity breeds contempt (not literally) camp and the better I know a place the less I see pictures there. A bit of a shame really......

Back