Changing part of a photo to B/W

Name
Richard Nash
Edit My Images
No
I am just getting interested in getting more creative with my Photos...rather than just the quick processing to correct em for White Balance, Exposure etc.

What I would like to do is edit a photo so that part of it is turned to B/W. As a crude example Bride & Groom in Colour and the background in B/W.

My problem is that I havent a clue as to how to do this.

Is there any books or tutorials that I could plow thru' that would help me with this...or is there a really simple way of doing it.

I use Corel PSP X2 and a Canon EOS 40D

Cheers

R

for this kind of thing (quick and easy) I just duplicate the picture.. make one B/W then cut out the colour one and paste into the B/W

Works great for the odd scarf in crowd pics :)

for wedding pics there may be a more detailed better way.

Well the wedding pic idea is more because am getting married soon so is on my mind. had thought of the Cut and Paste method, btu sometimes that can be a little obvious...especially if not pasted back accurately.

I suppose I was also thinking of it gradual smooth fade to black and White which a cut and paste wouldn't give me.

Makes me feel a little picky...but I know what I want in my minds eye...but am probably not being very good at translating the idea into comprehensible English

Thanks guys. Will have a play wround with this but will probably try ona simpler shot first.

Also would it make life easier usig a Tablet rather than a mouse for this sort of work...If so can you recommend a good one which is also good value for Money...as not much left floating about after moving house, getting married etc :)

Thanks again for your help
R

Tablet wouldnt make much difference unless it was a tablet with screen, in hich case wacom have a recent one for about £800 thats quite reasonable.

The easiest method in photoshop is to dupicate your layer (makes a copy of the image over the top of your original) by pressing CTRL+J, then change that layer to black and white (i would suggest you google some decent BW conversion actions, there are some nice ones around) by an action or desaturating it. Then on the layers palette add a layer mask, and draw over the bride and groom with a feathered brush (select a brush that has faded edges). As you draw, the back layer will show through and the feathered brush will give clean fades.

Tablet wouldnt make much difference unless it was a tablet with screen, in hich case wacom have a recent one for about £800 thats quite reasonable.

The easiest method in photoshop is to dupicate your layer (makes a copy of the image over the top of your original) by pressing CTRL+J, then change that layer to black and white (i would suggest you google some decent BW conversion actions, there are some nice ones around) by an action or desaturating it. Then on the layers palette add a layer mask, and draw over the bride and groom with a feathered brush (select a brush that has faded edges). As you draw, the back layer will show through and the feathered brush will give clean fades.

That's exactly how I was going to suggest it. You only need to feather by 2 pixels or so to make it blend nicely too... trial and error depending on the pictures you intend to change.

My preferred method, duplicate layer, convert top layer to B&W, select eraser tool with a nice soft edge, erase parts of the image where you want colour to show through.

There are many tutorial videos on this on youtube, I watched one this morning that was very helpful as showed two methods, one simple, one not so simple.

I'd have a browse around there and see what you find.

MM:)

Must admit have watched a number of tutorials and the Photoshop solution does seem by far the easiest, and can probably get the best effects from that....but being a paint Shop Pro user my options seems to be to use layers and place one over the other to get a similar effect to using the Photoshop History Brush.

Well I did want to start stretching myself a bit more with these packages.......so will now have to mend my PC and get on with it

Not that I have been able to find.

Looks like it is a matter of haveing a colour and a B/W layer and erasing out those parts one layer so the other shows.

Photoshops history brush is a much simpler method...but then again given that Photoshop is 3 or 4 times the price of PSP so it should be :)

Back