Changing PSU

Name
Bryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Disaster has struck my rather elderly vita PC, the PSU Has died and I can't afford a new PC so I have purchased a new PSU from Amazon.
I am a complete novice to messing with computer internals but after watching a couple of tutorials on YouTube I decided it is easy enough for me to do, the only thing I am now worried about is I have noticed the amps are lower on the new psu, does this really matter?

Amps or watts?

What is the model of the new one and old one and we might be able to help you figure out if the new one is right.

One other thing to note is that when a PSU fails it can often destroy other components in the machine (power surge/overload/short circuit etc), so watch for that.

it should be okay. assuming by you saying its pretty old and the low wattage, im assuming its a fairly low spec with one or two drives, no hefty gpu?

making that assumption, the machine shouldn't need much amperage.

Yeah it's a Windows Vista pc
Thanks for your help as it'll put my mind at ease that I'm not going to total y stuff up the PC

Well it all plugged in ok but when powered up the light on the front didn't come on, no signal received by monitor, I'm assuming this means the PSU isn't supplying enough power, any ideas please?

Make sure you have all the plugs fitted correctly.

Some mobos have an extra 4 pin power connector away from the main 20 or 24 pin main power one.

If you are really unlucky, you may have knackerred the mobo when the original PSU blew.

It does have the extra 4 pin, I was very carefully with the plugs.
I have put the new PSU in, however it only partially worked, the light and hdd indicator on the front panel didn't light.
So I put the new psu into a working old Dell machine and sure enough it powered up, I put the psu from the Dell into the problemed machine and the green light flashed and the machine remained lifeless.
Looks like I'll have to fork out for a new machine.
I'm thinking a cheap Dell until I can get something better

Back