Changing systems is expensive. Do people really do this as much as it seems?

You can, but then admittedly the EOS R is a beta test. The lack of dual cards alone is a no no to many including me. The rumored RS for next year will hopefully tick all the boxes.
As canon themselves put it - it is all about RF lenses in the new system. Sharper, more features, steeper price and all the rest. The pair of f/1.2s and that 28-70mm f/2 look incredible compared with anything sold by them before.

Agree about the lenses, but they do cost!! The are a few things I don't like about the rf lenses... 1. the control ring is at the front of the rf lenses, not a great place for me, the control ring adapter for the ef lenses put it at the back of the lens (where the aperture ring used to be) which feels right! and 2. the variable nd filter ef adapter can't be used with rf lenses, so 1 filter adapter for any ef lens, great when travelling and have to think about each component of kit.

I have a few ef 'L' lenses that work so well on the R, the extra features that the mirrorless system brings is to me a game changer, I find it hard to go back to dslr now the R has bedded in. Looking forward to the 'pro' version but have been happy to take this first step without regret. Even though canon say it is about the rf lenses, I would argue that the R body has some huge benefits.

Agree about the lenses, but they do cost!! The are a few things I don't like about the rf lenses... 1. the control ring is at the front of the rf lenses, not a great place for me, the control ring adapter for the ef lenses put it at the back of the lens (where the aperture ring used to be) which feels right! and 2. the variable nd filter ef adapter can't be used with rf lenses, so 1 filter adapter for any ef lens, great when travelling and have to think about each component of kit.

I have a few ef 'L' lenses that work so well on the R, the extra features that the mirrorless system brings is to me a game changer, I find it hard to go back to dslr now the R has bedded in. Looking forward to the 'pro' version but have been happy to take this first step without regret. Even though canon say it is about the rf lenses, I would argue that the R body has some huge benefits.

There are things I don't like too like the lack of focus window. How bad it is in practice I don't know.

Have you tried 16-35 f/4 and is it OK? Mine does need to get serviced which complicates decision even further. There is no f/4 RF in sight yet for at least another year, however looking at Sony I'm not convinced their version is any better, and Tamron can't take CPL which I have to use a lot for interiors.

I am very comfortable laying in my Fuji bed so not likely to jump ship anytime soon.
however when it comes to cameras I am not in the least brand loyal.
no have I worried about moving when the need arose.
I have always bought what I have thought the best and most suitable kit that I can afford.
Though this does not always filter down as far as minor accessories, where usability and cost effectiveness rules the roost. sometimes into the realms of functional but disposable....

I took a long break from photography and started again with a Canon 80D
I did not read any reviews on any other manufacturers just the 80D.
My reasoning is that I was more than happy with the photos I took with my previous Canon bodies and I knew the menu system quite well so I assumed the 80D would be the same with a few tweaks.

I remember all the arguments years ago about Canon vs Nikon, which produced the best dynamic range, noise handling and so on but none of this bothered me at all.
I am now looking at a smaller body and mirrorless system for travel and holidays.

My original plan was to buy another Canon system but when I discovered that they had only recently entered the market with a small form factor with an EVF so that idea went out of the window.
I do not want to spend a lot of money on a new mirrorless system as it will probably only be used a few times a year.
A couple of older Fujifilm mirrorless bodies fared well in reviews so I will be going down that route.
Over the years, I have seen people on here go through different systems the mind boggles how some can afford it.

There are things I don't like too like the lack of focus window. How bad it is in practice I don't know.

Have you tried 16-35 f/4 and is it OK? Mine does need to get serviced which complicates decision even further. There is no f/4 RF in sight yet for at least another year, however looking at Sony I'm not convinced their version is any better, and Tamron can't take CPL which I have to use a lot for interiors.

I have had my 70-200 f2.8 L ii and my 24-70 f2.8 L ii, also a 2x extender on the 70-200. The whole focus system is like having 'live view' on the 5d mk4, but in the viewfinder, which I find more natural when shooting. It is hard going back to a 'static' viewfinder!

The lenses work floorlessly, to me as well as they do on dslr without the need for micro adjustment to really nail the focus.

I will be looking at the pro version when it appears and maybe the R will become the backup, depends what it brings to the table.

I have had my 70-200 f2.8 L ii and my 24-70 f2.8 L ii, also a 2x extender on the 70-200. The whole focus system is like having 'live view' on the 5d mk4, but in the viewfinder, which I find more natural when shooting. It is hard going back to a 'static' viewfinder!

The lenses work floorlessly, to me as well as they do on dslr without the need for micro adjustment to really nail the focus. #Flawlessly?

I will be looking at the pro version when it appears and maybe the R will become the backup, depends what it brings to the table.

I don't swap cars regularly.. compared to the hit people take on that, changing cameras is small fry. I have changed quite regularly because a specific lens is more suited to me on a different system - I recently sold an A7 to go back to MFT for long lens options, for example. I do try and buy used bodies, though, staying a generation or two behind - it's the bodies that lose money, lenses not so much.

I would consider changing systems only if my current system failed to allow me to take images that I really needed (or, more likely: wanted) to take. With modern systems, I have trouble thinking of many photos that I could not take with any system. Maybe Nikon's cameras are better for wildlife (but I have seen fantastic wildlife photos taken with Canon, Sony, etc.). Maybe Canon has a macro system that will do twice life size. Maybe I might like a smaller/lighter MFT camera to reduce weight when hiking (but, I would buy that as a second camera, not replace my whole system).

Every system has strengths and weaknesses. Switching will just introduce the new weaknesses, at a very large cost. And, with a large learning curve

If your main interest in photography is around the gear and you want to experience the pleasure of getting new equipment to learn and use, changing systems can make sense. But, if you see gear as a way to create images and art, I have trouble understanding a need to change systems unless you have some really special needs. And, then, buying some suplemental gear from a different system might make more sense than a full change over.

I would consider changing systems only if my current system failed to allow me to take images that I really needed (or, more likely: wanted) to take. With modern systems, I have trouble thinking of many photos that I could not take with any system. Maybe Nikon's cameras are better for wildlife (but I have seen fantastic wildlife photos taken with Canon, Sony, etc.). Maybe Canon has a macro system that will do twice life size. Maybe I might like a smaller/lighter MFT camera to reduce weight when hiking (but, I would buy that as a second camera, not replace my whole system).

Every system has strengths and weaknesses. Switching will just introduce the new weaknesses, at a very large cost. And, with a large learning curve

If your main interest in photography is around the gear and you want to experience the pleasure of getting new equipment to learn and use, changing systems can make sense. But, if you see gear as a way to create images and art, I have trouble understanding a need to change systems unless you have some really special needs. And, then, buying some suplemental gear from a different system might make more sense than a full change over.

Well for me the appeal is obviously to arrive to a point where I could when needed print 3x2m without any special prep, take 4K RAW video, and have lenses that don't change focal length during focusing. It seems like I'll have to go with the tech to give me any shot at it, let alone my current bodies are getting worn out.

I have only switched once, after well over 10 years shooting Canon I switched to Fuji - I expect to stay with Fuji kit for at least another 10 years.

I didn't lose money as such - I walked into the shop with my Canon kit and came out with my Fuji kit and £50! However, I went from 4 lenses to 2.

Back