Charger 'blew up'

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I plugged my compatible Nikon D70s charger in today (second time I used it, first few times were fine) and all of a sudden when I switched the mains on it blew up and sparks came out (from the socket / plug), and all the electricity in my front room turnt off (just the plugs, not the lights etc).

The switch in my main circuit box went off so I had to turn it back on - obviously after unplugging the charger.

So now, the mains socket plate / front looks a bit burnt. What do I do? Is it safe to still use the mains socket?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think you need to give Trading Standards "Chapter and Verse" as this could have potentially killed someone. Do you want to tell us the Make and Model and supplier ?

Was the plug a moulded on type or had it been wired on by hand ?
Or, is the cable faulty in any way ?
It sounds like a short circuit in the plug, and I would guess that the socket is perfectly fine but as has been said, get it checked out to be sure.

I think you need to give Trading Standards "Chapter and Verse" as this could have potentially killed someone. Do you want to tell us the Make and Model and supplier ?

How would you stand if it was a cheapo ebay/china charger? Would make for some interesting description in the feedback.

Defo get a spark to check the socket and for what they cost these days I'd just replace it anyway

How would you stand if it was a cheapo ebay/china charger? Would make for some interesting description in the feedback.

Defo get a spark to check the socket and for what they cost these days I'd just replace it anyway

As an individual you can only give negative feedback and/or "Name & Shame" but Trading Standards have the power (in theory) to stop the import of anything that is dangerous.

Suspect as this is a "compatable" item it is not made to the same standard as a genuine Nikon one.

You may get a replacement if you complain, but are you sure you would trust another the same?

Heather

Hi,

I plugged my compatible Nikon D70s charger in today (second time I used it, first few times were fine) and all of a sudden when I switched the mains on it blew up and sparks came out (from the socket / plug), and all the electricity in my front room turnt off (just the plugs, not the lights etc).

The switch in my main circuit box went off so I had to turn it back on - obviously after unplugging the charger.

So now, the mains socket plate / front looks a bit burnt. What do I do? Is it safe to still use the mains socket?

Thanks.

Crumbs!!!!

As the others have said but my thoughst are:-
1) I was surprised you actually saw sparks because you mention resetting the switch in the main circuit box this was AFAIK a MiniRCD and I thought their reaction time was way too quick for one to see an observable sparking you describe??? So for sure get an electrician in to be 100% sure that all is well with the wall socket

2) Re the charger ~ confused by what you say "second time I used it, first few times were fine" just how many times used?

2a) Was this some sort of far east import? AFAIK many if not all (even brand versions) have a failsafe fuse in the charger itself this is a thermal delay fuse and once blown means the charger is 100% non repairable ~ again this should have failed before the mains circuiit so maybe of poor construction that would fail UK regulation for such devices???

Unless you can get the charger and its cable (assuming it has a cable and not just a brick type that plugs directly into the wall socket) checked properly I would return it to the shop stating what happened and that it is is "Not of merchantable quality" and "Unfit for purpose" ~ if bought online from abroad I would talk to Trading Standards as they might need to list it as not for UK market..............or I think they have some sort of procedure in place to list unsuitable goods?

Hope the house wiring is OK and you get a charger that is AOK sorted out ;)

First off an electrician will charge a lot more that £20 to come out and check a plug, I'd guess closer to £100 - £200.
Second before sending negative feedback to the seller check it isn't your wall socket at fault, remember this item worked several times before it went belly up, was that in the same socket or elsewhere?

Thanks guys - yes was a 'cheap' one from eBay, I think a company in hong kong although it was dispatched from exeter.

As for usage - when I mention "few times" what I mean is charged a few batteries up one time (took about 1 day).. Then when using it for the second time, this happened.

I do remember though plugging it in once and it was making a clicking noise so I unplugged it - but thought it was because there was no battery hooked up in the charger. So yesterday when I needed to charge up my battery and connected the battery to the charger and flicked on the mains switch that's when it sparked.

This is what it did to my mains:

DSCN0149 by jryans10, on Flickr

DSCN0150 by jryans10, on Flickr

If you look on the black plug, it is burnt.

So took a few photos and I am moaning at the seller for selling an item which is a health and safety risk. I know they're based in hong kong but they really shouldn't be selling items to UK sellers if it is a danger.

The mains socket I have used all the time for years and had no problem with it until now - even used it seconds before using this charger.

The exact charger and seller is this one (it was £4.99): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-C...6412&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&#ht_2759wt_1219

Thanks.

Last edited:
Definitely a case for Trading Standards to know about, it really should be reported before someone is injured or worse!

I'd contact ebay and your local trading standards to inform them about these chargers as they could be lethal. The latter may want to take them away for inspection and buy more for testing.

From the pictures it does look like the charger is at fault, there are no signs of any damage to the socket other than a bit smoke from where the plug got hot and bothered.

I'd definatly seek a refund from the seller and personally wouldn't want a replacement just in case.

Remember that "Trading Standards" might already have a file open on this Seller/Importer and just need more information/evidence.

The socket is probably OK that looks like only external soot, If the pins had got hot enough to do some damage inside (possible) it would be stiff to plug in something else.
Cautiously try something like a lamp, the worst that can happen is it trips out again.
Leave it on for an hour or so while in the room to be safe.

You should wipe away the soot as it can be a route for arcing, but keep the pic for any future claims.

Definitely get the socket checked out or replaced. The black you can see is amongst other things carbon which is conductive and therefore a fire and electrocution hazard.

:thumbsdown:
The socket is probably OK that looks like only external soot, If the pins had got hot enough to do some damage inside (possible) it would be stiff to plug in something else.
Cautiously try something like a lamp, the worst that can happen is it trips out again.
Leave it on for an hour or so while in the room to be safe.

You should wipe away the soot as it can be a route for arcing, but keep the pic for any future claims.

Good sensible advice. Follow this before going to the expense of an electrician, if it trips again when you test it you would then need to get it replaced.

Christ, what a mess thats made. Glad no one is hurt though! Does the plug even have a fuse in it or is it just a piece of metal wedged into it instead (or something equally daft)? Never seen anything like that!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah I have never seen anything like it either. It was a huge spark I'm surprised my hand didn't get burnt - luckily I have really good reflexes!

Thanks.

Firstly it is great they are going to give you a refund but did they want the charger back? The reason I ask is that as mentioned Trading Standards would I hope be interested in such a failure of electrical equipment so before sending it back for the £4.99 ask TE what they think and if they would indeed 'like' to have it for further investigation then consider whether £4.99 back in your pocket is worth risking others having more potentially fatal consequences of buying one of these supect devices???

In regard to the wall socket, yes the soot does appear to all be from the charger itself but were that my socket I would have it open to inspect the wiring & connections for any melt damage to the insulation and the terminals and if found to be affected get a 'Sparks' in to repair and re check the system. But I am used to handling simple electrical stuff............................but did I read it right that this is student accomodation if so the Landlord will have had to get and Electrical Certification and that means yearly inspections and you may be in breach of your tenancy by not letting him/her know there was a problem? Just a thought ;)

From the pictures it does look like the charger is at fault, there are no signs of any damage to the socket other than a bit smoke from where the plug got hot and bothered.

I'd definatly seek a refund from the seller and personally wouldn't want a replacement just in case.

I argree, you really should send that to trading standards (or what passes for them these days) as others have said if it is dodgy it could have started a fire, others might not be as lucky as you and get away with a fright.

Firstly it is great they are going to give you a refund but did they want the charger back? The reason I ask is that as mentioned Trading Standards would I hope be interested in such a failure of electrical equipment so before sending it back for the £4.99 ask TE what they think and if they would indeed 'like' to have it for further investigation then consider whether £4.99 back in your pocket is worth risking others having more potentially fatal consequences of buying one of these supect devices???

In regard to the wall socket, yes the soot does appear to all be from the charger itself but were that my socket I would have it open to inspect the wiring & connections for any melt damage to the insulation and the terminals and if found to be affected get a 'Sparks' in to repair and re check the system. But I am used to handling simple electrical stuff............................but did I read it right that this is student accomodation if so the Landlord will have had to get and Electrical Certification and that means yearly inspections and you may be in breach of your tenancy by not letting him/her know there was a problem? Just a thought ;)

Please don't do this unless you know what your doing, the wiring in the back may well be live even with the main switch off (yes it does happen, I've seen it a few times)

Thanks - it's not student accommodation hehe.

I did manage to plug an iron into that mains and it worked fine though.

Also they don't want the charger back, so I have it here.

The company selling it claimed that this is the first they heard this happen.

Thanks.

Thanks - it's not student accommodation hehe.

I did manage to plug an iron into that mains and it worked fine though.

Also they don't want the charger back, so I have it here.

The company selling it claimed that this is the first they heard this happen.
Thanks.

Of course they would say that!

Don't try to open up the charger yourself. If you are going to give it to Trading Standards they will want evidence that it has not been tampered with.

the photo of the plug socket is blown ( as it white out )
I'd dodge and burn it :)

Just imagine if you had plugged that in before going to bed, to charge your batteries overnight, and it didn't go pop straight away. Would only have needed something flammable next to teh socket and you could have had a major house fire on your hands.

Get it reported to trading standards.

Please don't do this unless you know what your doing, the wiring in the back may well be live even with the main switch off (yes it does happen, I've seen it a few times)

Hi Wayne

I did say "were that my socket" though did not underline it but as I have worked with/on high voltages including EHT as a competent person I know how to protect myself and the circuitry. But for "work" in repairing & thus checking the wiring I would as stated get a sparks in as house insurance matters could come into play at any time in the future???

Back