Charging devices using a portable solar panel in Malawi

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
With limited luggage allowance - I'm looking for a good option to be able to charge my mobile devices (mobile phone, camera batteries, MacBook Air M1) using solar power.

I do have access to a small solar panel in Malawi but no MPPT Controller. Previously I connected the solar panel directly to a 9V car cigarette socket similar to this:

I then used a in-car charger to charge up a power bank which I then in turn charged up my devices inside in the evening. Unfortunately my yield was pretty poor - and I'm imagining it's not the most efficient way of doing things. I was also unable to monitor the success of my yield from the solar panel and I had no MPPT.

I'm wondering if anybody has experience with the equipment I should buy? I've looked at solar panels which must have the MPPT controller built in as they offer direct USB connection, however reviews haven't been great with people saying their unit was faulty and instead drew power from the device they were trying to charge. I've looked at MPPT controllers which there seem to be many of - and I don't have a clue what I'm looking for.

I've also looked at an omnicharge 20C+ which seems like a good option for connecting up to the small solar panel I already have abroad - but it's rather expensive.

Any advice much appreciated. If a good quality solar panel is the best option with everything built in - I'd need something foldable. Ideally something that allows me to see my solar panel is being successful at gathering energy, and that will allow me to charge USB devices fairly quickly.

Last edited:
If it were me I would get a Bluetti power bank. They have the connections and smarts to get the best out of a solar panel, can charge up in the day while you are away and then charge up your kit up at night when you are back. Nice but a bit expensive.

I had a small genertor, wasn't called a generator though. Plugged into the cigar lighter in the car and could run stuff on it including battery chargers. But I think in this case it would work fine for running the computer, used to run mine on one to watch movies where ever I went. As for battery charger's why bother unless your gonna be out a really long time. Just get two or three or four maybe, exrta batterys and carry them along with you. I have an extra battery for a couple point and shoots and my DSLR. But the Panosonic needs to be plugged in with a wire and I suspect the small generator would work there. Can't for the life if me remember what it's called. Plug it into the cigar lighter and it convert's 12 volt to 120 somehow. No motor, just the plug in. maybe it is called an inverter! Went and looked it up. It is called an inverter! Hook it up to the cigar lighter and plug your applince into it. Used to carry one in the road truck to run a cooler to carry food with me! Worked great!

If it were me I would get a Bluetti power bank. They have the connections and smarts to get the best out of a solar panel, can charge up in the day while you are away and then charge up your kit up at night when you are back. Nice but a bit expensive.

I had a small genertor, wasn't called a generator though. Plugged into the cigar lighter in the car and could run stuff on it including battery chargers. But I think in this case it would work fine for running the computer, used to run mine on one to watch movies where ever I went. As for battery charger's why bother unless your gonna be out a really long time. Just get two or three or four maybe, exrta batterys and carry them along with you. I have an extra battery for a couple point and shoots and my DSLR. But the Panosonic needs to be plugged in with a wire and I suspect the small generator would work there. Can't for the life if me remember what it's called. Plug it into the cigar lighter and it convert's 12 volt to 120 somehow. No motor, just the plug in. maybe it is called an inverter! Went and looked it up. It is called an inverter! Hook it up to the cigar lighter and plug your applince into it. Used to carry one in the road truck to run a cooler to carry food with me! Worked great!

I forgot to say - I will be travelling by plane, so will need something that I can carry on in hand luggage

I forgot to say - I will be travelling by plane, so will need something that I can carry on in hand luggage
You can get small power banks with solar inputs and mains outputs or maybe buy one out there.

I would doubt that they are unavailable in the country, even if you need to get Amazon or something similar to deliver.

The output voltage of solar panels is proportional to the amount of light they are receiving up to the max value stated for the panel, typically about 20v. The amount of charge is proportional to the size of the panel, a small panel will only get you a few tens of watts. An MPPT needs a battery as well as a solar panel.

From a weight point of view my guess is that you would be better off with several powerbanks and charge them up when you can from the mains

The output voltage of solar panels is proportional to the amount of light they are receiving up to the max value stated for the panel, typically about 20v. The amount of charge is proportional to the size of the panel, a small panel will only get you a few tens of watts. An MPPT needs a battery as well as a solar panel.

From a weight point of view my guess is that you would be better off with several powerbanks and charge them up when you can from the mains
Pretty sure there are limits on the size and number of power banks allowed on flights, 27000mah and 2 powerbanks?

Well sounds to me like you need to get a bunch of extra battery's. The phone I'd leave at home but then again I don't even have one!

I would suggest you buy it there.
They do it all the time, and know what works.
The thing you have in your favour is sun, though depending on season and area, afternoons could be regularly cloudy.
I agree you will also need a battery or very large powerbank to charge from the solar then charge you devices.

Most of the "systems" you see here on ebay etc are totally unsuitable, and very over rated, and may charge one small camera battery in a day if you were lucky.

If you do buy here, buy from a UK company that deals in solar power and know what they are talking about, and not a drop-shipper who is quoting the false figures given by the supplier.

I can understand why you may want solar and not rely on flaky or non-existent mains power, but again they know what works, but buy from a business, not a market or street trader.

Are you flying direct, or via another African country?

Pretty sure there are limits on the size and number of power banks allowed on flights, 27000mah and 2 powerbanks?
Didn't know that. Perhaps make sure you have 12v chargers for all you kit, and may be even 24v as well, that way you can charge from vehicles whilst travelling or over night. I'd also take a variety of connectors and croc clips in case you have to lash something up, but that's probably just me :)

Well sounds to me like you need to get a bunch of extra battery's. The phone I'd leave at home but then again I don't even have one!

that’s what I did took a load of extra ones and was also able to charge batteries on the jeep as most safari vehicles have an inverter built in when I was camping in Botswana

I'm no expert but from my very limited experience of solar panels you need a decent size (several square feet) and it needs to be left sitting out in the sun for hours or all day just to charge a phone or camera battery. If your moving around or it's going to be left unatended your going to have problems. Even out miles from anywhere stuff vanishes if it's left laying around.

According to this manufacturer of power banks, the regulatory limit for airline travel without a special declaration to the airline is 100Wh, which translates to 20,000 mAh at the default 5V, which is the working default, but different devices may be rated differently at different voltages.

Generally, regular manufacturers will mark it on the fuselage. If there is no mark, it will be calculated according to Ah*5V. In this case, the maximum allowed to carry 20,000mAh on the plane.

There is usually a misunderstanding here. Many people think that the maximum capacity of the battery allowed to be transported on the plane is 20,000mAh. In fact, it is not the case, because some mobile power banks of some manufacturers do not mark the rating Wh, so the airline will use this formula to calculate the rating (Ah x V = Wh ): 20Ah*5V (5V is the default value) = 100Wh. However, the rated voltage (V) and rated capacity (Ah) of different devices are different, so the calculation results are also different. For example, the Shargeek Storm 2 Power Bank capacity is 25,600mAh, but the rated output is 6.4Ah*14.6V=93.5Wh.

There's advice in the link for devices rated between 100 and 160 Wh, which require a declaration to the airline for approval. Devices rated above 160 Wh are banned completely.

Last edited:
Because I won't have access to mains power for a whole month, solar panel power is the only thing I'll be able use, to keep my phone, camera and laptop alive - as well as torches and lanterns. I've decided to opt for a omnicharge battery which will allow me to connect directly to unregulated solar panels which are readily available. I may also purchase a foldable panel and use another power bank so I have 2 batteries charging during the day. I'm really grateful for everybody's input

Back