Beginner Charging Nikon via usb

Name
Joshua
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all I'm looking to buy my first dslr a Nikon 3500D and after reading into it I noticed the supplied charger runs straight off the mains but cannot be used via usb. Is it possible to charge the battery via the usb on the camera from a portable battery bank? thanks Josh.

Last edited:
The usb is for data transfer.
You can't charge the battery via usb.
Buy a usb car charger and you can then use a powerbank to power that.

The 3500's battery is 7.2V and USB is 5V. I'm sure there's a clever way to get 7.2V from a 5V supply but I'm not aware of such a device being available for camera battery charging.

Good camera but... The D3500 is essentially a repackaged D3400 with no (really useful) function button. The D3400 is a D3300 with a bit less lens compatibility. The image quality is improved a bit between the versions but they all have the same sensor. They are all pretty good but if you are prepared to get second hand, you can save a bit by getting a older version.

A lot of the aftermarket batteries come with USB chargers, but I wouldn't use an aftermarket charger with a official Nikon battery- the over voltage protection might be wrong.

Hi all I'm looking to buy my first dslr a Nikon 3500D and after reading into it I noticed the supplied charger runs straight off the mains but cannot be used via usb. Is it possible to charge the battery via the usb on the camera from a portable battery bank? thanks Josh.

You're thinking like people who use portable pocket or wearable technology like mobile phones, MP3 players, smart watches, etc instead of a proper camera in a camera bag.

Charing up via USB is often done for pocket and wearable portable machines that people just charge up via USB instead of carrying spare batteries. (Some mobile phones can have the batteries removed and replaced but who carries spare batteries for a mobile phone? Most just go home and charge up via USB.)

A camera like Nikon D3500 have a bigger battery and is designed to be changed around rather than be directly recharged, thus you could buy spare batteries for your camera bag. They would be charged up from the mains, one put into the camera, the rest put into the kit bag, and during the day, in the middle of the photo shoot, you just change the battery.

Plus USB charge at a low rate while a camera battery holds a lot of power. Thus charging up a DSLR battery form a USB would be a waste of time, you may as well try having a go recharging your car battery from USB. That's why the mains charger is capable of charging up a lot faster, because it pumps a lot of power to the battery.

And someone already mention it, so I agree with @Bobsyeruncle that on DSLRs, the USB is mainly and mostly used as data transfer for moving the photos form camera to computer.

The Neweer Slim Fast USB charger coupled to an Anker Powercore 20100 powerbank charges my EN-EL15A's from 20% to full in about an hour. I carry 2 x spare batteries per body but this works well as a redundancy when out in the boonies for a while.

GC

Good camera but... The D3500 is essentially a repackaged D3400 with no (really useful) function button. The D3400 is a D3300 with a bit less lens compatibility. The image quality is improved a bit between the versions but they all have the same sensor. They are all pretty good but if you are prepared to get second hand, you can save a bit by getting a older version.

In a similar vein to this also consider a used d5300, I have one at home and we use a d3400 in the office. I find the tilt screen a great ergonomic improvement for live view and review etc. Although the rest of the spec is fairly similar.

Mpb.com also often have second hand batteries for around £10, the last one I bought seemed to be unused, and is much quicker than worrying about charging in the field.

Expro have EN-EL14 compatable batteries that are around £17 each instead of £40 plus for a Nikon version. They work fine with the Nikon charger, I have 2 spares and needed these when its colder, have made do with just 1 spare in summer but was running on fumes metaphorically if out shooting all day.

Back