Charities / Charity Shops

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
We've been having a bit of a clear out at home so I've been taking bags of clothes to the Save The Children charity shop in town. I went past today, only to find that the shop has closed down - which isn't overly surprising considering shops like this aren't overly competetive against cheap clothes shop like Primark.
However what particularly pained me was that the Save the Children shop had shut whilst the PDSA and other shops were still doing good business - do people really support pet and animal charities more than children and human charities?!
Every time the donkey sanctuary charity advert comes on TV I get cross that they want the same amount of money per month as Water Aid and other charities which help humans.

Am I alone in putting human life above animals?

No its not fair. Life isn't though.

Last edited:
Is it (or was it) the one on Goodramgate?

do people really support pet and animal charities more than children and human charities?!

Probably not, but every living thing needs a bit of help from time to time :)

Was there a few weeks ago, bought a walking pole for 3 quid! Have a look round, as the rents are going up and many charity shops, those that do pay rent that is, are moving to cheaper premises.

To prove we were there!

Last edited:
It shut in the last two days, maybe even yesterday evening.
As I said in the OP, I'm not surprised that these shops are closing - I just think it's a shame that people are supporting the animal charities more than the people ones.

Was there a few weeks ago, bought a walking pole for 3 quid! Have a look round, as the rents are going up and many charity shops, those that do pay rent that is, are moving to cheaper premises.

To prove we were there!

The missus looks a corker! :D

I don't think it's a case of supporting animal charities more than human ones. It may have closed for various reasons. Too expensive to run, lack of volunteers, whatever. I know that the charity shops around here are always crying out for help.

I always give my stuff to Barnardos after a less than enthusiastic welcome from an Oxfam shop a few years ago. I also support a couple of animal charities and the RNLI. I'm happy with that balance and see no reason to only support "human" charities.

No connection between one charity shop for humans closing and another charity shop for animals staying open and people putting animals before humans. It's is more likely to do with rents, staff turnover etc.

The only charity I give to on a regular basis is the Woodlands Trust. Certainly doesn't mean I put trees above humans.

I only support one charity for 'humans', and all the others I support are for the animals.

I always give my clothes to the local PDSA too.

Animals>people.

No the real donkeys.... I'm sure our equine frends would get anoyed at people compairing them to the goverment ;)

I used to work in the well known animal charity shop when I was at school. It was great fun and the manageress made lots by packing the shelves and selling cheap but she would get into trouble for pricing things below scale. It was a real shame when she was forced to up her prices and have less on the shelves. Takings really dropped and they lost a lot of regular custom. I left not long after, so much was having to go to the rag collection because so little was allowed on the stock floor.

I just started doing a dressmaking course in the evenings so I had a walk round a few charity shops to see if I could get books and patterns. They're all trying to be a bit too "boutique" now so I imagine an awful lot of donated clothing goes to the rag collection now.

However what particularly pained me was that the Save the Children shop had shut whilst the PDSA and other shops were still doing good business - do people really support pet and animal charities more than children and human charities?!
Every time the donkey sanctuary charity advert comes on TV I get cross that they want the same amount of money per month as Water Aid and other charities which help humans.

Am I alone in putting human life above animals?

Yes, I really do support animal charities more than I support human charities. I know, almost unbelievable eh?

It is up to an individual where they put their money. I choose to put my contributions towards charities that work hard to reduce how much animals suffer as a result of humans. This is something I feel very strongly about and it narks the hell out of me when people question my priorities/ethics because I give/help organisations I feel passionate about.

I imagine an awful lot of donated clothing goes to the rag collection now.

There are so many companies now shove the clothing collection bags through your door I would image this is why nothing goes to charity shops.

I point blank refuse to use these (apart from their generous donation of another bin bag :D) because invariably they are all companies who donate a small amount of the money made from selling the clothes in these bags to the charity they print on the side.

There are so many companies now shove the clothing collection bags through your door I would image this is why nothing goes to charity shops.

I point blank refuse to use these (apart from their generous donation of another bin bag :D) because invariably they are all companies who donate a small amount of the money made from selling the clothes in these bags to the charity they print on the side.
Same here Richard, If more people looked at the print on the bags and just how much goes to charity,I take mine to the high St shop.

Yes, I really do support animal charities more than I t human charities. I know, almost unbelievable eh?

It is up to an individual where they put their money. I choose to put my contributions towards charities that work hard to reduce how much animals suffer as a result of humans. This is something I feel very strongly about and it narks the hell out of me when people question my priorities/ethics because I give/help organisations I feel passionate about.
Agree with you there mate
I divide what I can afford to give between animal rescue charities and wildlife organisations

We've been having a bit of a clear out at home so I've been taking bags of clothes to the Save The Children charity shop in town. I went past today, only to find that the shop has closed down - which isn't overly surprising considering shops like this aren't overly competetive against cheap clothes shop like Primark.?

It is always possible that it was simply that their lease ended.

Charity shops often get deeply discounted rents (it is not uncommon for charities to pay no rent at all) as it saves the landlords paying Business rates on an empty shop. The charities themselves pay only 20% of the regular rates ( and it is not unheard of for landlords to pay that to avoid 80% of the rates that would otherwise be due) but their leases will often be only short term: three or six months.

It is quite feasible that either

A) The landlords have found a commercial tenant

B) The charity has found a more attractive deal elsewhere

I would not be hasty in chalking this up to competition from Primark or the RSPCA

It shut in the last two days, maybe even yesterday evening.
As I said in the OP, I'm not surprised that these shops are closing - I just think it's a shame that people are supporting the animal charities more than the people ones.

Why do you put people above "animals"...if you want t get all scientific, I think you'll find we are also mamallia, and going up through class and order etc... yep animals.

Personally I'll give to any charity i see fit to do so. and funds available.... what really grinds me is many of these charities have a CEO with a 6 figure salary, so am i funding a kid to walk to a well or am i funding a M3 for the CEO. Go google and take a look at how much of your £ goes to the cause..

they also make great impromptu groundsheets if you are out and about with a big box and some expensive glass and need to get on your knees / lay down to get the right angle etc. i always keep a few spare...

they also make great impromptu groundsheets if you are out and about with a big box and some expensive glass and need to get on your knees / lay down to get the right angle etc. i always keep a few spare...

Oh good plan, hadn't though to that :)

I support a few of each. Most of my charity money has gone to a local hospice recently as they looked after my brother last year until he died but they were all wonderful while he was there. I also give to cancer research as both my brother and the wifes aunt died from it and so it's prominent in our lives. All the other 'help Africa cause they're starving' pleas, IMO it wouldn't matter how much was donated, the needy either don't get it or nothing seems to be done. it doesn't seem any further on in progress since LiveAid back in the 80's and there must of been many millions spent since then.

As for the animal charities, most of the problems they suffer is because of humans interfering with their habitat or poaching them. Until the poachers are stopped the problem wont go away and if we stop building on their territory they would have a much better chance of survival. The Donkey, Horse, Dog, Cat etc. charities that keep asking are only ending up with more animals because of mistreatment or cruelty again by humans most of the time.

The only time I've really needed help with an animal I had a major problem finding anyone to help. I'd developed an allergy to my new cat, he laid down right next my face and all my face, eyes and airways swelled up badly and if I hadn't got any antihistamine tablets in the house I would of probably of died from my airways swelling (so the doctor said when I'd been admitted to hospital). I needed to find a way to rehome the cat immediately and the RSPCA accepted him to kennel him until a new home could be found. It cost me over £60 but it was worth it to rehome the cat instead of having it put to sleep etc. Needless to say I still donate to them regularly too.

You give to who you give...

For me I give only to those charities that are actively making a difference in peoples lives. I never give to animal charities - but have paid for a few animals to be looked after.

Bottom line is you do what you can to make a difference when you can.

Last edited:
Is it a misconception that very little of what you give goes to where it's meant to

Many years ago my brother in law was working for a national charity

They had a conference in the US which he had to attend

When the tickets came they were business class which was 3x the normal fare , he said he'd be happy to go standard class but they were having none of it because that as one of the perks

He didn't stop there long

It's always made me wonder if the people doing the collections and working in the shops and us are the mugs who keep them in nice little earners

You give to who you give...

For me I give only to those charities that are actively making a difference in peoples lives. I never give to animal charities - but have paid for a few animals to be looked after.

Bottom line is you do what you can to make a difference when you can.
The alert system says you quoted me so I guess that was pre edit.

The donkey sanctuary does great things and it's a charity my nan was involved with before she died. Chances are if anyone here has one of their knitted donkeys she might have knitted it :)

Back