Charity shop bargain - konica a4

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Absolutely chuffed with this. I shoot a mix of film (1930s rolleiflex and various old 35mm cameras) and digital (a Canon 6D which I love), and for the longest time I've wanted something compact - nearly plumping for a fuji x100 of some kind, or the other street shooters choice, the ricoh grii. However, I found this in a charity shop for £4 and had a good feeling - it looked right, was small and even if it was a cheap and nasty, it'll do for me.

It's in great nick, works perfectly after fitting new batteries (that cost much more than the camera!) and for about £15 I'm able to shoot all my old pound land film from a fixed 35mm compact with auto focus, a close up mode and a date back! (which is set to 1993 as the earliest available year that is equivalent to 2022, as it stops at 2020!).

Anyone else used one? It's a charming thing with genuinely thought out design. For example, I get 26 shots from a 24 roll of film. It has a built in flash I can force on for shooting in bright conditions, and the motors whirring have that charming 80s retro-futuristic sound I love.

Nice find.

Have used one back in the day whne they were new, borrowed one for a couple of hours from the shop I worked at. They work really well.

So called 'A4' because you could focus on an A4 piece of paper and it would fill the frame of a 35mm image.

Enjoy.

Nice find.

Have used one back in the day whne they were new, borrowed one for a couple of hours from the shop I worked at. They work really well.

So called 'A4' because you could focus on an A4 piece of paper and it would fill the frame of a 35mm image.

Enjoy.
That's really interesting!

I really like it. I sort of wish it just focused when you half-pressed, rather than measuring and then focusing when you fully depress, just so press=shoot, rather than a delay.

But that's very picky for a camera older than me! I love the sound of the motor.

Oh dang it. Classic old camera plastic - the front plate snapped off.

I think I can probably tape it back together, don't want to glue as it may prevent repairs to other mechanisms one day...

Anyway, still using it. Still have not developed a film on it... But soon hopefully.

I love Konica, I worked for Konica in the 80's and was always happy that they used to ensure quality as well as keeping up to date.

What a great find.
I thought charity shops in the UK where wise to the value of old film cameras and would list on ebay for a better price.

Yup, pretty great!

The case that broke fits so snug I just clipped it back in place and you can barely tell it's damaged... So for now, I'm leaving it. However, I may find some sort of glue to sit on the surface of the crack, just to reinforce. CA would run in and risk damage, so probably a more regular craft glue.

Back