Cheap 120/35mm scanner

Snapper73

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to get a cheap film scanner to do my 120/35mm slide and negs, most of the film i'll be shooting will be out of date and will look a bit wacky and crazy so dont need anything to great. Budget £100-200 (y)

Epson V500 is almost certainly the recommendation you'll get at that price point.

The Canon Canoscan 9000F also retails for around £170 online and has good reviews, I'm saving up to get one.

The Epson flatbed scanners are good, have used V500 and V700. Both are great, just I'm not too happy about the Epson scanning software. Can't figure out how to use it properly lol.

I have a Canoscan 9000F and my friend has a Epson v600 and IMHO the Epson wins for quality scans.

The Epson flatbed scanners are good, have used V500 and V700. Both are great, just I'm not too happy about the Epson scanning software. Can't figure out how to use it properly lol.

Epson scan software is very good until you meet what I call an unscanneable neg....a recent example:- Asda scanned the Jessops colour neg ok, but I wanted to scan a few frames at higher DPI, well I tried everything even scanning as positive and inverting in photoshop, but just couldn't get the colours right, even got bored using Photoshop.

Maybe you can get a 2nd hand Scan Multi for a couple of hundred quid.
There isn't much around in the dedicated film scanner department if you want to scan 35mm and 120..

Epson scan software is very good until you meet what I call an unscanneable neg....a recent example:- Asda scanned the Jessops colour neg ok, but I wanted to scan a few frames at higher DPI, well I tried everything even scanning as positive and inverting in photoshop, but just couldn't get the colours right, even got bored using Photoshop.

Dunno, I like this better http://www.silverfast.com/show/scanners-epson/en.html

never really had that sort of problem. :D Only me screwing up and under exposing by few stops which is bad. Shadows red etc xD fun.

I personally like the Silverfast interface better than the Epson. More organized etc :)

take your pick of software, it isn't ever gonna make up for hardware failings..

I got a canon 8800F from ebay last week for £95 buy it now, or try an epson 4490, or 4990

Epson V500 is almost certainly the recommendation you'll get at that price point.

+1

Used last night for the first time, and I must say I'm very impressed.

No idea how to use the software, but fiddling with settings seems to have created something usable lol :cool:

+1

Used last night for the first time, and I must say I'm very impressed.

No idea how to use the software, but fiddling with settings seems to have created something usable lol :cool:

Ahhh, the "Lemon Method" - suck it and see :)

and the shot that came out was definitely at least a step or two up from useable (y)

Thanks! (y):clap::wave:

Film is brilliant...there is no denying it :)

Agreed, 100% - I've just dropped 4 rolls of assorted 120 in the camera bag, a roll of Delta 100 in one back, and Velvia 100F in the other, and I'm away to try and bag something interesting for the POTY competition this month.

fingers crossed for me - might be my last chance this month to get anything in the can, and I'd hate to drop too far down the YTD list... And if I can stay up there in the comp. while shooting on film this month, all the better ;)

Back