Cheap and cheerful portable lighting?

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys,

Ok, I'm shooting with my D300 and I have an SB800. I'm after a nice little portable lighting set up, ideally on the lower end of the scale.

This is going to be used for some portraiture, some skate/bmx, some indoor/still life so basically looking for a set up that's going to be reasonable versatile.

Is a second flash worth investing in? Should I just pick up an umbrella and stand to work with my SB800?

Thanks in advance!

Welly

In your shoes I would pick up an additional cheap flash, couple of stands and brollies and some cactus v2 triggers. You can stay really portable.

Thanks for the tips. Any recommendations for flashes? I hear the Vivitar 285 gets good reports, or perhaps a Nikon SB24/SB28?

Yeah the Vivitars are good but you really cant go wrong with a used Nikon one from ebay. I have gone with the Canon 540ez but for you I would stick with the Nikon.

I'm in a similar situation. I just bought a second SB-600 used from a shop. I'd do a bit of homework if ya go for a second flash. They are going for silly money on ebay. I send a "round robin" email to a number of shops you can get the details on from http://www.ukcamera.com/ and see what they come back with.

I have an SB-800 and use it with a stand and umbrella. As a second light which I use for lighting backgrounds separately or for hair lighting etc I would most definitely recommend a SB-28. Extremely cheap and works so well

Back