Cheap but decent flash gun

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I am looking for a cheap, but relatively decent flashgun for my 450D. I've seen the Jessops 360AFD and it looks alright and comes in pretty cheaply.

Has anyone had any experience with this flash? What is it like?

Could anyone recommend me a good flashgun for under £100 (the lower, the better).

Thanks,
Matt

i was planning to get a sunpak PZ42X

seems a very decent bit of kit, and looks alot better than anythingi have seen for £100

google shop it, £100 or lower.

now im getting a second hand metz.

it does, but its no where near as good as the sunpak i mentioned, for functionality anyway

You can get a second hand 550EX if you shop around, love mine - though it does chew through batteries

Have a look at a Metz 45 - brilliant and the guide number means you have oooooodles of power. NOT hard on batteries either. Hammerhead type - with bracket. It works off a synch lead, so you need to have a socket on your camera, if you don't have a synch lead socket, then forget it, it is too professional for your camera....sorry. I think you might be able to get a hotshoe adapter for the synch lead......check that. I know you can get a optical trigger for off camera use - that is what I use mine for.

Don't be put off by the fact that it only has Aperture control automatic or manual - that is all you need. It will take you no time to learn how to use it - 10 minutes! A bigger flash head than an on camera flash - so softer light, plus you can get softeners for it, and proper clip on gels....that is why so many pros use them, they are built to take abuse. A second hand one is about £100 - last for decades!

Keep an eye on ebay, picked up a brand new 430EX for £104, he sells them regularly so keep a search up, you wont be dissapointed.

Victor

The 550EX was the flagship of the Canon flash line until the introduction of the 580EX. It is still a full featured excellent flash unit.

The 420EX is also a great unit which should be available on the used market fairly inexpensively.

The benefit of either of these units is the Hi-Speed Sync capability. You can use these units as fill-flash for outdoor shooting and not be constrained bythe 1/250 second maximum sync speed. Of course, the 580EX, 430EX as well as selected Sigma flash units incorporate hi-speed sync capability.

Back