Cheap button cells which leak

Edit My Images
No
I had occasion to change the LR44 button cells in a camera, as the battery check showed that they were exhausted. Both cells showed signs of corrosion, so I checked my stock of spares, which admittedly have a use-by date of 2017, only to find every single one showed corrosion leakage in its blister pack. I bought these from a bargain store I think, or maybe the cheapest on e-bay - I can't remember. I know they were past their use-by date but I don't think they should be leaking. I think this is a warning to me, that I should buy batteries from a proven reliable source. I'll stick with the Small Battery Company in future.

They might not just leak, a few of us have had them explode! In my case it was exhausted cells waiting around to be taken for recycling. I wasn't there, but bits were found 3-4 metres away.

I've a torch which had genuine duracells in that have leaked, not for the first time I have found duracells leak, thought they were guaranteed not to do that, so I suppose upshot is to regularly check, like we all have time to do that of course.

If the item uses the *R44 type battery then I buy the silver oxide version (SR44), it's more expensive but I often find you get what you pay for. I've not known an SR44 battery leak, including the still functioning ones I took out of an inherited Olympus OM10 after 34 years, but I suppose it's possible for any battery to leak eventually, particularly after its lost its charge.

Last edited:
If the item uses the *R44 type battery then I buy the silver oxide version (SR44), it's more expensive but I often find you get what you pay for. I've not known an SR44 battery leak, including the still functioning ones I took out of an inherited Olympus OM10 after 34 years, but I suppose it's possible for any battery to leak eventually, particularly after its lost its charge.

I've been having a few little problems with the slower shutter speeds on my LX staying open occasionally. It may be due to many things (some relatively serious), but first option would be to replace the battery, I guess. I've got stacks of LR44s, but I've just remembered I've got 3 SR44s that must be over 20 years old, still in their blisters. I'm guessing there's still a reasonable chance of these working?

I've been having a few little problems with the slower shutter speeds on my LX staying open occasionally. It may be due to many things (some relatively serious), but first option would be to replace the battery, I guess. I've got stacks of LR44s, but I've just remembered I've got 3 SR44s that must be over 20 years old, still in their blisters. I'm guessing there's still a reasonable chance of these working?

H'mm you can get a digi voltmeter\multimeter cheap.......everyone should have one even for just checking continuity on wires e.g a fuse.
All 1.5v batteries should read over 1.5v, of course it won't tell you how long a battery would stay over 1.5v.

I've no idea, the original ones in my Dad's old OM10 were still working but I changed them in case they did start leaking or corroding. I asked myself, is it worth damaging a mint camera for the sake of around £6? Also, you still might not know for certain if you test the camera with old batteries if it's prone to shutter speeds issues if the voltage drops, as old batteries could possibly do this?

I suppose you could test your SR44s with a meter and if they appear OK then try them in the camera for a day, but take the battery out afterwards to avoid danger of leakage or corrosion and buy a new one if it works? Unless someone else knows a good reason not to do this?

H'mm you can get a digi voltmeter\multimeter cheap.......everyone should have one even for just checking continuity on wires e.g a fuse.
All 1.5v batteries should read over 1.5v, of course it won't tell you how long a battery would stay over 1.5v.

Would not the multimeter test only show the static voltage of the battery and not the voltage under load which is the important bit?

Thanks. Looks like LR44 for now and then try out the SR44s when I've got time (and maybe a multimeter).

BTW, the Small Battery Company have SR44s at £1.99 for two, P&P included (£1.70 for 2 or more packs), though they dn't say what make. They also sell a Lithium (suggested by @Retune above) CR1/3N which they say is the same voltage and size as 2 LR44s, though higher power, but it's £4.20 inc P&P (£3.90 for 2 or more). So the SR44s look a better buy. There don't seem to be many Energizer/Duracell SR44s around...

Would not the multimeter test only show the static voltage of the battery and not the voltage under load which is the important bit?

Well yes but you have to have some idea on the condition of a battery e.g. if a 1.5v battery is showing say 1.38v then throw it away, but for me sometimes these below 1.5v batteries (esp AA) are good enough to put in a LED torch...for a while.

Any AA or AAA. batteries here below 1.38v are used in clocks or torches. They seem to last for ages in the clocks!

Back