Cheap Chinese filters - any experience?

Edit My Images
No
I've been given a Nikon L35AF, which has an odd filter size (46mm). As I believe the camera has quite good optics and I take mainly B&W sots at the moment (andnot much of that in the current circumstances), I've ordered a cheap (£3) yellow filter on e-bay. I'm not expecting Hoya like quality but am rather hoping that it will turn out to be a bit better than a stretched out sweet wrapper. I'm asking if anyone has any experience of such 'bargains'?

Yes i have a few of them but not yellow ones. In my experience they are not proper glass, its like a glass substitute they managed to manufacture in some Chinese Lab.

Bit like Cheese in a supermarket, you have to buy the posh cheese to get the real deal lol. The cheap cheese is mixed with fake cheese to bulk it up

All bets are off, really. A lot of cheap filters aren't coated and will flare badly when a light source is in the frame (this also applies to the otherwise high quality uncoated ranges from big name manufacturers). The glass itself may or may not be decent optical glass - try some with/without tests if it's not obviously poor.

Bit like Cheese in a supermarket, you have to buy the posh cheese to get the real deal lol. The cheap cheese is mixed with fake cheese to bulk it up
Oh dear, a Quality Street wrapper I could have coped with but the wrapper from a packet of Kraft cheese slices is just too much for me!
Fortunately I've just bought a 46/49 step-up-ring, though this means that the weird 2 part lens/viewfinder cap won't fit.

As I believe the camera has quite good optics

It has, and found modern film compacts (from well known makes) have very good lenses also and so Nikon wouldn't want to be an also ran.

Back