1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AndyG123

AndyG123

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi guys. Just a question, I know these cheap lenses are not going to be as sharp as a pro or even n entry level lens from jessops or where ever.
    But how are these lenses so cheap? And has anyone ever used one to try?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272765543390

2. Mark twiglet

Mark twiglet

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    They work but I question how sharp! I think you'd be better off using longest lens you have and cropping

redsnappa likes this.
  3. wez130

wez130 Steak,wedges and a pint

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    F/16 at 800mmm, can see that being useful lol

4. Box Brownie

Box Brownie

Edit My Images:
    No
    Superb quality optics

Optical Construction: 4 Elements in 2 Groups , perhaps not! :LOL:

Makes me think of telescope construction?

As for the 800mm lower down painted white and with a red ring............has 4 elements in 4 groups.

Caveat emptor for sure ;)

Edit - back how do they make it so cheaply - no AF motor, very simplistic optical construction, sounds like fixed aperture [only aperture?] (the zoom as per even some very expensive makes has a variable max aperture depending on FL) and unless I missed it no diaphragm to change the aperture......hence my comment about telescope construction.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. mjmountain

mjmountain

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A friend at work got one. The photos weren't great but the magnification was impressive. May be useful if you're a private investigator.

6. GordonM

GordonM

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    To be fair 35-40 years ago similar, but non zoom 300/400mm lenses were accepted unless you were a pro. Anyone remember Paragon manual diaphragm lenses?

Phiggys and Mark twiglet like this.
  7. chris malcolm

chris malcolm

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Always worthwhile checking -- sometimes cheap Chinese lenses are pretty good, sometimes even quite comparable in optical quality to the far more expensive professional quality lenses. Mostly not, but there are bargains to be had.

8. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Trouble is, by the time you've bought several to compare to try to find a 'good' one you've probably spent as much money as you would buying a good, used, Sigma or Tamron with similar focal length. "Ah, but you could send them back if they aren't up to the job" Perhaps, but have you checked the price of sending something that size and weight back to China via insured recorded delivery?

9. mjmountain

mjmountain

Edit My Images:
    Yes

I do a lens search on flickr and see the quantity/quality of images uploaded as a first indicator.

Mr Badger likes this.
  10. ABTog

ABTog

Name:
    Alistair
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It's going to be cheap and not brilliant.
    If you want an idea of what it might be like, take a look at this review for a similar cheap telephoto.

View: https://youtu.be/U3vNur71xfY

redsnappa and AndyG123 like this.
  11. redsnappa

redsnappa

Name:
    Redsnappa
    Edit My Images:
    No
    the results from these lens are better than most people expect because a telephoto lens has a much simpler construction than a zoom lens this easier and cheaper to manufacture than any zoom lens and image quality will almost certainly be better than cheap zooms.

12. Box Brownie

Box Brownie

Edit My Images:
    No
    But in the case of the OP link that one is a zoom lens! ;)

13. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    At least it comes with a lens pouch! :D

Seriously though, I'd seek out a nice old vintage prime before buying something like this. Even if the IQ of the lens was ok, at F16 you're going to have to push your ISO well up to get any kind of usable shutter speeds if you fancied a bit of wildlife. And that's going to degrade IQ even more.

14. redsnappa

redsnappa

Name:
    Redsnappa
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I missed that, wow. You only have to look at the results from some of the older zoom lens to see how easy it is to make bad zoom lens.

15. rjbell

rjbell

Name:
    Robert
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Lenses don't cost much to make the mark up is huge! it has to be though, its the only thing keeping these companies afloat.