Cheap Chinese lenses..

They work but I question how sharp! I think you'd be better off using longest lens you have and cropping

F/16 at 800mmm, can see that being useful lol

Superb quality optics

Optical Construction: 4 Elements in 2 Groups , perhaps not! :LOL:

Makes me think of telescope construction?

As for the 800mm lower down painted white and with a red ring............has 4 elements in 4 groups.

Caveat emptor for sure ;)

Edit - back how do they make it so cheaply - no AF motor, very simplistic optical construction, sounds like fixed aperture [only aperture?] (the zoom as per even some very expensive makes has a variable max aperture depending on FL) and unless I missed it no diaphragm to change the aperture......hence my comment about telescope construction.

Last edited:
Always worthwhile checking -- sometimes cheap Chinese lenses are pretty good, sometimes even quite comparable in optical quality to the far more expensive professional quality lenses. Mostly not, but there are bargains to be had.

Always worthwhile checking -- sometimes cheap Chinese lenses are pretty good, sometimes even quite comparable in optical quality to the far more expensive professional quality lenses. Mostly not, but there are bargains to be had.

Trouble is, by the time you've bought several to compare to try to find a 'good' one you've probably spent as much money as you would buying a good, used, Sigma or Tamron with similar focal length. "Ah, but you could send them back if they aren't up to the job" Perhaps, but have you checked the price of sending something that size and weight back to China via insured recorded delivery?

Trouble is, by the time you've bought several to compare to try to find a 'good' one you've probably spent as much money as you would buying a good, used, Sigma or Tamron with similar focal length. "Ah, but you could send them back if they aren't up to the job" Perhaps, but have you checked the price of sending something that size and weight back to China via insured recorded delivery?

I do a lens search on flickr and see the quantity/quality of images uploaded as a first indicator.

It's going to be cheap and not brilliant.
If you want an idea of what it might be like, take a look at this review for a similar cheap telephoto.
View: https://youtu.be/U3vNur71xfY

the results from these lens are better than most people expect because a telephoto lens has a much simpler construction than a zoom lens this easier and cheaper to manufacture than any zoom lens and image quality will almost certainly be better than cheap zooms.

the results from these lens are better than most people expect because a telephoto lens has a much simpler construction than a zoom lens this easier and cheaper to manufacture than any zoom lens and image quality will almost certainly be better than cheap zooms.

But in the case of the OP link that one is a zoom lens! ;)

At least it comes with a lens pouch! :D

Seriously though, I'd seek out a nice old vintage prime before buying something like this. Even if the IQ of the lens was ok, at F16 you're going to have to push your ISO well up to get any kind of usable shutter speeds if you fancied a bit of wildlife. And that's going to degrade IQ even more.

But in the case of the OP link that one is a zoom lens!
I missed that, wow. You only have to look at the results from some of the older zoom lens to see how easy it is to make bad zoom lens.

Last edited:
Lenses don't cost much to make the mark up is huge! it has to be though, its the only thing keeping these companies afloat.

Last edited:
Back