Cheap Film

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

A friend has bought his first film camera (olympus om1), where is the best place to buy cheap film in London (SE or EC) area to try before he buys expensive film.

Thank you

Poundland, They (most) stock Agfa Vista 200 which is decent enough for checking cameras work.

Poundland sells Agfa Vista 200. It's a perfectly reasonable budget film. Most Poundland branches stock it, although it can be a little hard to find initially (it's usually near the blank CDs and screen cleaning wipes).

It's a red box, something like this:
5871315769_4794ee9587_z.jpg

Cool, thanks will check it out.

Thanks, was just about to post the same question as found my old Nikon F90X whilst sorting the loft.

And to anticipate your next question......first film? then find an Asda and have it dev and scanned to CD for £3 (y)

And to anticipate your next question......first film? then find an Asda and have it dev and scanned to CD for £3 (y)

Lovely, thank you.

Thanks, he bought a kodak one to get started as the camera was delivered today.

:D Sorry just found this thread slightly amusing.

Your buddys OM1 is a Nice looking example coupled with the Zuiko 50mm 1.8.
I hope it's light proof and he gets some enjoyment from it :olympus:

Hi Andrew,

Sorry new to all the film stuff, is there an issue with the camera and lens working correctly? He was having some issue trying to use the light meter in the camera. No matter what he did it did not move much until he changed the asa know. This was set to the film iso.

Thank you

Many old cameras inc the OM1 used the now banned 1.35v mercury battery, so unless the camera has been modified to 1.5v the meter won't be accurate, but you can work around this by adjusting the ASA dial to compensate by comparing with your metering on your digital camera. But first maybe other Om1 owners can say whether you can put a 1.5v battery in without damaging the electrical circuit......I would think there's no problem but best to check first.
Of course you can just use the camera without the meter.

Last edited:
Brian/Andrew

Thank you for the reply. When he bought the camera he checked the listing and it did say that the battery had been changed.

Last edited:
Very nice OM1. Threads like this do little to stop me perving over getting an OM1. Have been fancying one for a while now to go with my OM2-SP.

I already have a brass battery adapter going spare to allow me to use hearing aid batteries & get round the battery problem. Use the same setup in my Praktica MTL5 & it works a treat.

Very nice OM1. Threads like this do little to stop me perving over getting an OM1. Have been fancying one for a while now to go with my OM2-SP.

Nice camera, my brother lent me one for a while (OM1) and i really enjoyed using it. Well made and a classic 35mm.
I now have an OM2 sp I required recently along with a nice 28mm 1.8 siggy which I'll keep on till I finish the roll to see how it performs.
Currently running some 100 asa Acros. O yea got a winder grip on it's way for it.

My old OM10 is currently at the menders (@trevorbray) getting new seals.
Didn't manage to get out wit my folder at the weekend thanks to the weather..
"Weather gods be kind", (y) I want to shoot at least 10 frames and pray for a keeper. I want to push myself out of my comfort zone :banghead: and get at least 1 per 10 :rolleyes:

Didn't manage to get out wit my folder at the weekend thanks to the weather..
"Weather gods be kind", (y) I want to shoot at least 10 frames and pray for a keeper. I want to push myself out of my comfort zone :banghead: and get at least 1 per 10 :rolleyes:

You'll be lucky..

Brian/Andrew

Thank you for the reply. When he bought the camera he checked the listing and it did say that the battery had been changed.

Do you mean it has been modified to take a 1.5v battery? As maybe somewhere like China (or where ever) is the only place that sells 1.35v batteries, but have seen mercury 1.35v batteries at boot sales (£2 each) and as they have a good shelf life still might be ok.

Last edited:
Or just buy hearing aid batteries. They don't last as well but they're very cheap.

Just lost the willpower to resist OM1's any longer & have bought one off ebay thanks to this thread.... Oh well :)

Sorry no idea if it has been moded or not. He has contacted the seller and they said that they will send out another battery.

You'll be lucky..
You'll be lucky..

Very lucky, didn't waste one frame. I'm in Winchester tomorrow, but won't be taking the folder as I'v not nailed the focusing (miles off lol).

As it's such a magical architectural city.. I'll take a 35mm OM2-s loaded with 100asa acros 36exp add a couple of primes and that's me..

Do I take a tripod? (by train).

He is still waiting for the batteries to be delivered. Will update one the batteries have come and tested.

Update on the camera, it was sent back and a refund paid.

He has bought another one which is in very good condition and the meter works.

Glad to hear that. I'm sure that I wasn't alone here in thinking that your friend had bought one of those broken film cameras sold as "reconditioned". I've done it myself. I'm glad that it is now working out. Tell him to be careful - film photography can be very addictive.

Glad to hear that. I'm sure that I wasn't alone here in thinking that your friend had bought one of those broken film cameras sold as "reconditioned". I've done it myself. I'm glad that it is now working out. Tell him to be careful - film photography can be very addictive.

Thanks. Will do, but I think he already knows. I hope... :eek:ops:

Back