Cheap flashes

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I am fairly new to lighting properly and would like to get into of camera flash. I have a 430exII which i have used on camera and a set of ebay triggers in the post.
For many techniques 2 or more flashes are required. What is the difference in real terms between the price levels? Is it sensible to buy these cheaper flashes or should i wait and save for more canon flashes?
I am a poor student so cost is fairly important.

This flash offers more power than my speedlight http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1026073
and this one a little less http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=14355

Does the low cost of these flashes mean they are poorly made/designed and a bit of a pain or are they a good low budget alternative.

Cheers for looking guys

I have the Nissin flash, it is useless for off camera stuff as no types of trigger will fire it, in either manual or slave. You can use it as an on camera TTL unit, and for this it works great. But the only option for off camera is using it with an Infra Red Commander unit, which cost a fortune for the Canon or Nikon version. You are better looking for cheaper, maybe older flashes. For the same amount as the Nissin, you can get a Vivitar 285 from Gadget Infinty. This is a great flash, built well, lots of adjustment etc.

I use a lot of older flashes from EBAY, just look for ones that can be used manually. I got 17 flashes for £18 about 2 weeks back. True only 9 worked, but they all work with my EBAY slaves, and optical slaves, so it is worth the money.(y)

i suspected something similar, don't fancy buying from hk as i have been boned by tax before.
Ebay looks like an idea but all the vitar's i saw were pr digitsl and i know abot the 600v sync, will that blow and ebay trigger (got one coming in the post) either way the 450d has no syn port and i cannot see m raising funds for a body until i finish my degree

you can get a Vivitar 285 from Gadget Infinty. This is a great flash, built well, lots of adjustment etc.

:thinking:

Build quality isn't all that great, imho and quality control is pretty much non-existent, which is a right pita when you have to send the damn things back to HK for replacement when they are doa - at least MPEX test the 285HVs they sell before shipping them.

I have the Nissin flash, it is useless for off camera stuff as no types of trigger will fire it, in either manual or slave. You can use it as an on camera TTL unit, and for this it works great. But the only option for off camera is using it with an Infra Red Commander unit, which cost a fortune for the Canon or Nikon version. You are better looking for cheaper, maybe older flashes. For the same amount as the Nissin, you can get a Vivitar 285 from Gadget Infinty. This is a great flash, built well, lots of adjustment etc.

I use a lot of older flashes from EBAY, just look for ones that can be used manually. I got 17 flashes for £18 about 2 weeks back. True only 9 worked, but they all work with my EBAY slaves, and optical slaves, so it is worth the money.(y)
Any flash can be used as a slave if it is sitting on a slave flash adaptor. quite cheap to buy.

Back