Cheap head torchs are they any good ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

This is not just photography related , The main aim is for me to be able to take my dogs out on winter evenings on farm land and forestry. I used to do this quite often a long time ago using an old Oldhams miners lamp which I also used at the time for caving. I'm looking for something lighter than this but at the same time do not want to spend a fortune. The dog walks at night will most likely last no more than an hour. Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Yes, you don't even need spend £10, so much easier not to have to hold it.
I use them a lot doing fiddly jobs in poorly lit places too even wiring a plug is just so much easier.
Any of the USB rechargeable ones of ebay are worth a shot.

Thanks to both of you, A USB chargeable one seems like a great idea, An I've come up with another use which is as a helmet lamp on my winter cycling commute. I will have to get a few.

Just ordered two of the ones you Listed Studio, I like the fact they have the car charger.

I used to get these cheap head torches, and whilst the light they can give off is quite good if you just want to flood somewhere with light, I found myself replacing them a lot as for something so cheap, the build quality shows it. I've now used a decent Petzl one for a couple of years now and never looked back.

A lot of bright LED head torches run off rechargeable 18650 type lithium batteries and there are a lot of fake batteries around. A set of two genuine 18650 type Panasonic made lithium batteries with built in protection circuits will cost around £20. Cheap knock off fakes can be unsafe and can catch fire/explode (a Google search should provide info on the subject of fake lithium batteries), and I doubt thats what you want strapped to your head! :eek:

So budget for a genuine set of good quality Panasonic cell based batteries with built-in safety cut out circuit (to protect against overcharging and over discharging) from a trusted UK seller and you should be OK. I'd expect to pay about £20 for 2 batteries and £30+ for a good safe genuine quality charger.

I use the batteries and charger for a number of torches, so it made sense for me to buy like that. If you only intend to buy a head torch then it might cost about the same in total to go for a genuine branded (Petzel, LED Lenser, etc) rechargable head torch kit from a reputable outdoor equipment shop instead. Do Uttings have anything suitable in the Boxing Day sales? Hope this is useful and best of luck finding something suitable and safe.

Last edited:
18650 batteries are heavy, i have spent more time than id care to add up fishing and walking into and through the night and yet to need heavy duty batteries or a headtorch powerfull enought to light wembley stadium. A simple AA or AAA powered headtorch is much lighter, and all that is needed. Silverline tools do one with a bright central beam and dimmer ambient lighting and cost under a £10. Petzl make good headtorches but are more costly and IMO not required unless your life depends on it - drain clearing. caving etc

I use the one reviewed here - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/camping/lighting/petzl_actik_headtorch-9653. It is perhaps overkill as the inclusion of a red light is probably not necessary for walk the dog at night, but it is well made, not heavy and has a few brightness settings. On the brightest one it casts a lot of light.

Perhaps I'm being over cautious but I prefer a head torch that runs on rechargeable or normal batteries rather than one that relies only on a USB charger. Just feel a bit happier with a spare set of batteries in my pocket, but that's just me.

Dave

https://www.7dayshop.com/head-torches

Take your pick! I'd stick with one of the Energizer ones rather than the cheaper brand(s) and have had a couple for several years. Keep wondering about a Petzl or similar but can't justify the extra expense, even to myself. The Energizer I use most has 2 white settings and a red option.

I use the red option a lot rather then the white when out at night unless high risk of tripping over

What is the idea of the red setting ? Other than the fact its not so bright !

Doesn't screw up your night vision as much.

What is the idea of the red setting ? Other than the fact its not so bright !
It enables you to keep night vision. White light blinds people’s vision at night whereas red light doesn’t. Think as it like a a car passing you at night, you are initially blinded but slowly regard being able to see in the dark.

Some places like Skomer Island won’t let you use white light at night as it affects the wildlife.

I used to go sea fishing from the beach and had a conversion of a Petzl head torch.
Think it was called something like a night searcher, brilliant bit of kit
Will try and see what I can find out about it

Lights up the Moon a treat! ;)

Makes sense, I hate those super white car lights they almost hurt. The two lights arrived today they seem pretty good although I've only tried them in the garden at this point.

Petzl has already been mentioned, Fenix also make good head torches - https://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches/Head-Torches.html

I think I read up thread that you had already bought one from ebay, when that packs up, have a look at Fenix or Petzl. Also I wouldn't get a USB rechargable one unless the battery is removable/replaceable. Rechargeable batteries are only good for a certain number of charge cycles in the hundreds to thousands range generally depending on battery type and quality.

I have a Fenix torch. But do you think I can find it!! Probably looking right at me or in one of my many bags!

Anyway, I've had it at least 15 years.

I have had awful luck with any cheap torches full stop.

As soon as I started to buy Fenix, Led Lenser and Nitecore my luck changed and none broke at all

We have the energizer usb rechargeable models and think they are very good. On full power we get about 5 hours on a charge - but generally plug them in every couple of days or so. Prior to these we had AAA rechargeables and found that they just didn’t last - don’t think AAA have the staying power. 3 white light settings.

This thread has reminded me that a head torch would be a great idea for the wife for dog walking. I’ve gone with the Petzl Tikkina at £12.99 on amazon. It seems quite good value for the price. I have a LED Lenser head torch that I use for photography. It’s very bright but it does go through batteries at a fast rate, and annoying flashes intermittently when the batteries are getting low (which seems to occur quite soon after replacing the batteries).

I hadn't noticed when testing it by myself but I got Mrs Badger to try one of them and realized there is a red light on the rear of it so one of them is going on my cycling helmet.

I've had and used a Petzl for > 10 years. It's adjustable - I think it has three settings - and runs on AAA cells. I bought it when we had load shedding (constant, scheduled, power cuts) in Joburg and it's been completely reliable.

I have several flashlights (Surefire, Fenix and LED Lenser) for specific purposes but a head torch is very useful when you need your hands free. You won't have to spend very much to get something suitable for dog walking.

My last Petzl headlight was crap, the very poorly made battery holder cracked and would not make a proper connection.

I bought a cheap headtorch, that's all I got, a cheap headtorch. Not comfortable. naff 'head harness' system and not much use. Next time I will buy a GOOD headtorch cheap (well as cheap as I can without compromising quality.

This thread has reminded me that a head torch would be a great idea for the wife for dog walking. I’ve gone with the Petzl Tikkina at £12.99 on amazon. It seems quite good value for the price. I have a LED Lenser head torch that I use for photography. It’s very bright but it does go through batteries at a fast rate, and annoying flashes intermittently when the batteries are getting low (which seems to occur quite soon after replacing the batteries).
The Petzl Tikkina arrived. Initial thoughts having tested it in house are it seems quite good for the money (£12.99) but it’s very early days so I can’t say how well it will last long term. I will have to take it out for a proper test at the weekend.

Back