Cheap Lens on 5D

Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all

Well since I have the cheapest lens ever, the 28-90mm f/4..5.6 (about £25 on ebay), I thought I'd give it a go on the 5D. Below image and 100% crop are straight from the camera, which is recording in jpeg. No PP applied.

Not the best capture I know, but my tallent is not the point!

I am surprised, to say the least....

IMG_0642.jpg

full_crop.JPG

Looks like you got a bargain m8, it's sharp!

Looks to be a nice bargain lens JJ, will have to arrange another meet so you can give it a day out...

Shutterman

There is a lot of rubbish talked about "Cheap" lenses,I had the 18-55 with my 350D and as soon as you stop it down to about f8 the quality is fine,ok it wont match a £500 pound blown up to 20x16 but for general use many of them are fine.

I have posted links to shots taken in the last couple of days on manual focus lenses all 3 of which cost me less than £50 and I think the results are fine

Impressive given that it's wide open but not that surprising. The 5D has a fairly large feature size so it should be quite forgiving on lenses.

There's a page here comparing the Nikon cheapo 55-200mm with the 70-200 2.8 VR. At 70mm there's little or nothing to choose between them, and that's on a D300, which is hard on lenses.

The 28-90 were the kit lens that came with the old EOS 300 film camera, the equivalent to the current 18-55 kit lens. It's light, plasticly and slow, I tried it and hated it.

The 28-90 were the kit lens that came with the old EOS 300 film camera, the equivalent to the current 18-55 kit lens. It's light, plasticly and slow, I tried it and hated it.

At £25 on ebay you don't expect anythign else - i think the point here is that you can get half decent shots with cheap glass; despite all the talk of FF sensors will reveal all so you need L glass.

Took a few shots with my nifty fifity at the weekend - i'm perfectly happy with those too.

If you don't wangt big prints then you don't necessarily need top glass, but you do need to find the better ones in amongst the cheap.

Evening all

Thanks for all the replies! Yes indeed, I was mearly surprised at how much detail there is from this lens.

Yes the 28-90 is slow but with decent quality at ISO 800 on the 5D that helps with that. The auto focus speed on it is really quick too. The only thing is that shadows seem very dark with it.

A while ago i got sucked in with all the hype of expensive gear.

The only big difference it makes is.... in your head and wallet

Back