Cheap light meter?

Name
James Betts
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys and girls,

Im trying to set up a small personal studio at home and I'm on a rather tight budget. One thing I've gathered is it would be quite useful to have a light meter.. I've had a look around amazon and the jessops website and they have a few but most of them are around the £300 mark which is quite a long way out of my budget :p

So does anyone know where I can get a usable light meter for about the £50 mark? or is that just too low?

Regards, James

Thousands of second hand Sangamo Westons out there, you can pick up a V or Euromaster for around 15 to 20 quid. Won't do flash and only gives average reflected & incident light, but still a good general purpose jobber.

Id have thought the Sekonic flashmaster 358 at £140 would be ideal if you can run to that. your lights can plug into it to measure them that way.. or via sensor as they flash. its great.

Hey, sorry I forgot to mention, I will mostly be using a flash set up.

Thanks Janice - I watched a video on youtube yesterday that reccomended that one as well - I found it on Digitalrev for about that price.. are they a good reputable company? (I'm quite new to the whole online purchasing thing)

Sprog - Cheers, Ill have a look around for some second hand ones.. for £20 its worth having just incase I do photoshoots outside at all.

Regards, James

Hey, sorry I forgot to mention, I will mostly be using a flash set up.

Thanks Janice - I watched a video on youtube yesterday that reccomended that one as well - I found it on Digitalrev for about that price.. are they a good reputable company? (I'm quite new to the whole online purchasing thing)

Sprog - Cheers, Ill have a look around for some second hand ones.. for £20 its worth having just incase I do photoshoots outside at all.

Regards, James

They are, but you may need to factor in import duty. tax and handling fees, unless they have a "no tax guarantee" in which if you are clobbered, they will reimburse you immediately...

Hope this helps (y)

One stop digital will reimburse any tax fees... try them.

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a Q on this as I'm just venturing into some new flash studio kit. Maybe I'm missing the point, but for £140, is not just worth setting up your lights and then just dialing them up/down with some test shots manually?

Once again, I've probably missed the point. Why is lighting to bl00dy confusing?!?.... :)

Back