Cheap Lightweight Travel Tripod (Hama Traveller Compact Pro?)

Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to Venice next month (trip with the uni photo society) and am deliberating whether I should take my tripod (Manfrotto 055XDB + Giottos MH1301-652 ballhead). I then started looking for a smaller 'travel' tripod and came across this one at Dealextreme for about £35, and just wondering if anybody had any feedback on it:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/profes...or-slr-digital-camera-155cm-full-length-54027

I would be using mostly my gripped 5D and 17-35mm lens on it (I doubt the 70-200 f2.8 would be used) and swap the attached ballhead for my Giottos one.

I've had a search around the forums and found the Slik Sprint Mini II recommended, but it is more than I want to spend. I'm not interested in the Gorillapod type ones.

Otherwise, are there any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
To be honest in a city like Venice I'd not bother with a tripod. I went to Turin last year and shot some nice long exposures just using things I could rest the camera on (bridge parapets, parking bollards etc), a tripod would have just been a hindrance whilst out and about. That said I've bought a TrekTech Optera 460 for travelling, one benefit of that is it can be wrapped around your kit in your bag for extra protection when travelling.

Thanks for the response. I'm not intending on using it during the daytime, but from talking with others we'd probably go out at night with the tripods and get some nice shots around the city.

The TrekTech Optera 460 looks interesting, but I think I'd prefer something that has a bit of height to it. I've also come across a Hahnel Triad 30, which looks quite nice (1.2kg, folds to 56cm, max height 142cm and apparently supports 4kg).

Complete shot in the dark but how about the Trek-Tech T'Pod Tripod :shrug: Holds upto 4kg & has a height of around 13in iirc (without a camera fitted)I've one & its a handy little thing...

I've now come across a Hama Traveller Compact Pro which looks quite good; weighs 1.37kg, max height 163cm and folds to 52cm, and holds 10kg (apparently).
http://www.hama.co.uk/portal/articleId*28227676/action*2563

Has anybody used one?

Complete shot in the dark but how about the Trek-Tech T'Pod Tripod :shrug: Holds upto 4kg & has a height of around 13in iirc (without a camera fitted)I've one & its a handy little thing...

Thanks but I'd prefer a more conventional style tripod.

The Hama tripod was pretty good for the price and did the job, but it needed a 10 second timer or remote to avoid shake. I have since upgraded to a carbon fibre Manfrotto 190CX which is light enough for travel, yet solid enough (with a pretty meaty 3 Legged Thing ball head) for my gripped bodies with heavy lenses (70-200 f2.8).

By the way, this thread was from 2011!

I just came across it whilst browsing. I have clicked on the link, but its a clamp not a tripod.

What about the Velbon ULTRA REXi L
Legs only
Max Height: 153cm
Max Leg Height: 129cm
Leg Max Spread: 9.5cm
Folded Size: 36cm
Tripod Weight: 1.30kg
Maximum Loading Weight: 5kg
Recommended Loading Weight: 4kg
Leg Width: 30mm
Leg Sections: 5
Head Screw: UNC 3/8 & 1/4 Screw

Thread revival!

I use the compact pro - the legs were fine, but the head was useless. I put a better Manfrotto head on it and all was well.

If you mean the Velbon ULTRA REXi L was slated, not sure, only mention as mate got one and it was very compact. I didn't like the twist legs though, seemed like it was waiting to break but hey, he says it's great.

Back