Cheap low light metering

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm hoping to go on a little night shoot with some mates around Exeter soon. I'm planning to use either a Zorki 6/Jupiter 8 combo or a yashica minister II, both loaded with Delta 3200. It seems my current lightmeter (a western master II) has neither the sensitivity for very low light or any shutter speed number on the dial above 1/20th. (Rubbed off over it's long life.)

Can anyone point me towards a cheap solution for metering in low light (think streetlights) that doesn't involved lugging my DSLR around to compliment a nice and lightweight rangefinder? Any good old lightmeter models that don't go for a fortune on ebay that I can search for?

Ultimate Exposure Computer

Been using this for night time stuffs, and its been pretty good for the long exposures.
Not sure what you're shooting but even street lit 3200 is gonna be f/2.8 at 1/60th, according to the sooperdooper ultimate exposure computer..:LOL: dunno if its a good idea to shoot slower than that without a tripod.

If you're using a tripod, these calcs are the dogs cajones......seriously.
I know it looks complicated but it isn't, just find the text that most closely describes the lighting, in your case I'm guessing "subjects under bright street lamps" which is 4.
Go to the other table and find 4 in the iso 3200 column, run to the left and it gives you all the f's and times, including 1/60th @ f/2.8.
Sorry if I just taught you to suck eggs but, when I first saw this page I thought....thats an awful lot of text........duh

No, thats actually really useful. I've been looking for a breakdown of constant lighting conditions (such as streetlight) and how they relate to eV. I'll grab a roll and see how I get by without a lightmeter.

An excellent link, duely bookmarked. Cheers! :D

Back