Cheap maps

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm putting this here as it is probably more relevant to landscape photography than anything else.

This place - https://dash4it.co.uk/ - does some good deals on OS (and other) maps, eg a Landranger map for about £4.50 compared to around £7.00 from the OS shop.

Dave

I use the OS app on my iphone , landranger maps are 69p on there (1.99 for Explorer), all works offline as well and GPS.... ca't recommend it highly enough!

Where's the path is a good one to use whilst researching at home too

I use the OS app on my iphone , landranger maps are 69p on there (1.99 for Explorer), all works offline as well and GPS.... ca't recommend it highly enough!

Ooh, I didn't know such an app existed, is it a proper ordnance survey one? Free to download or is it a 'pay for' app?

Funnily enough, I just ordered a map from them last week. They're about the cheapest on the web that I've found and occasionally have other offers which lower the prices further. I always go for the Explorer in "Active" format (waterproof) and the 40% saving is very helpful as I don't confine myself to any particular mountain ranges...

BTW, it arrived very quickly and well packaged. Can't fault them at all although I don't have a statistically significant sample - just 1!

Edit: Google Earth is also pretty useful. But there's no substitute to having a proper, detailed map, when you're out in the countryside. Just be careful that deforestation etc. can have a massive impact on the "actual" landscape versus what's marked on the map!

Last edited:
I think map apps and online facilities such as the OS map overlay on Bing maps are excellent but I too also like the bigger picture available from a paper map. Agree also about forestry. It is sometimes the most confusing of places to get through. Commercial foresrty will put roads in forests wherever and whenever they need so what is on the ground does not always correspond with what is on the map.

Dave

Agreed about dash4it. The maps are normally 30% off but once you're registered they send you a 40% off deal every so often.

Having said that I did order a French IGN map off them last winter which was said to be in stock but they had to order it in from abroad and it didn't arrive in time.

Great to hear other people praising paper maps. They are often such a work of art and I can spend hours poring over them. I just don't think you get that experience on your PC monitor.

Having the mapping on a phone is awesome but it kind of infantilises you, showing you your exact position. Paper maps are a must if you're going out in the wild. I've trashed two iphones by letting rain get into them and one time it put me in danger as I didn't have a back-up paper map.

Back