Cheap MF Suggestions

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Anyone any ideas on a super cheap camera that takes 120 rolls? In my latest tidy up I've come across a pile of old film I forgot I had, it's an excuse more than anything but hey ho :)

Personally, I'd be looking for a box camera. Cheap as chips, no frills but a bit of fun if it's only for a few rolls.
I'd avoid ebay: a lot of sellers seem to think sticking 'vintage' in the description can get a higher price for cameras made in their millions lol.
Car boot/charity shop, maybe?

4412585547_4cefbd8f5e.jpg
[/url]
clack by Raglansurf, on Flickr[/IMG]
(y)

well - if you want decent quality, cheapest camera in the long run is a decent Hasselblad - buy it, run your film, sell it for what you paid, no fuss no worries.

This is true ^^ Try a Yashica A, or D maybe. Should be good to go for under £40. Perkeo maybe? Nettar? See, the thing is, MF is a big umbrella. You want 6x4.5, 6x6 or6x9?

It'd be something I'd keep and use occaisonally I think, not too bothered about the actual format really, bigger would be better like. I should have been more specific I think, ok I'd like to spend 50 quid tops but a lot less would be a lot better at thhis point in time, I don't really want a box brownie type of thing but am open to TLR or folding cameras.

Ross Ensign Selfix 16-20 with a Rosstar 75mm f4.5 lens. Loads on the bay of e and an absolutely cracking camera, the lens was considered at least as good as Zeiss etc at the time.

Andy

+1 for a Ross Ensign.. plenty about on Ebay and they're cheap enough, look for a 16-20 or a 420. The 820 is the best, but prices reflect that.

Zeiss Ikon folders are really great cameras, but you may find the zone-focusing frustrating, especially when using it at its widest aperture. TLR's are the best option I'd say, like a Yashica Mat (don't bother with a metered one as the meters are often unreliable). They look good too!

Look on ebay and Amazon for "The Medium Format Manual", this was highlighted to me whilst I was on here and found it for about a fiver. It goes through most of the main MF camera and is really rather good.

Cheers for the help gent's :) I'll set a few Ebay alerts up for your reccomendations and find something in the next week or three. I'll try and find that book too Darren.

Any 1950's folder with a triple lens will do the trick, since you live in the UK hunt down a Kershaw 450 (or 630 if you can't get one), avoid the 110 as it is as basic as a box camera, can usually be had for less than £20, a flickr set of my kershaws and photo's taken with them
If you got some more money a TLR might be good, others have already recommended good models. If you want 6x9 you'll have to go folder and there aren't any super cheap models (excluding box cameras), just get one with a proper apertures and shutter speed ranges.
If you want uber cheap then a box camera like a agfa synchro box or kodak hawkeye brownie can usually be had for £10 or less and still take pictures better than a overpriced holga.

Not to put you off as many of these cameras are great to use but, likely stating the obvious, do be a little wary of anything that might have sat unused for years. There are some realy nice cameras on eBay, etc. but a fair few will need their shutters cleaned which will cost a few tens of pounds -- not great if you're after super cheap.

One idea, as you're in Liverpool, would be to drop into Newton Ellis on Cheapside (just off Dale Street) and see if they have anything. You'll pay a little more but they'll check all the obvious things. Another good place to try is the Real Camera Co. on Dale Street in Manchester. (Always thought that was an interesting coincidence)

Loads more good advice there gents so thanks again :) I might actually try Newton Ellis and Real Camera, I've had a few things off the latter over the years and they're pretty helpful.

Try your local papers or other sites as well as ebay (Although never purchased from ebay myself) eg loot.com and pre-loved have looked at myself.
Must admit I usually look and rarely purchase.
However fancy some new lenses for my other camera (Digi)sometime maybe after Xmas

See my post in the 'New Toy' thread, doesn't get much cheaper than that, £55 for a 645j, WLF and 120 back, 80mm lens jammed wide open at f2.8 but otherwise functional included as a body cap!
That was from eBay and just goes to show, there are still bargains to be had.

See my post in the 'New Toy' thread, doesn't get much cheaper than that, £55 for a 645j, WLF and 120 back, 80mm lens jammed wide open at f2.8 but otherwise functional included as a body cap!
That was from eBay and just goes to show, there are still bargains to be had.

I used to have a 645 years ago and sold it on Ebay oddly enough but I got fortunes for it at the time. I'd happily have another :)

Well just to update this thread I ended up buying a Yashica 635 TLR, no 35mm kit with it but I wasn't really interested in that. Cheers for all the input though gents, I'll likely pick one or two of the other suggestions up as well in the next few months.

give an ikon zeiss a try, you can pick them up pretty cheap and they have impressive lenses! pretty handy for those landscap shots!

Back