Cheap Monopod?

Name
Gemma
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at getting a monopod, for my sigma 150-500mm when birding. Just struggle to hold the weight steady.

Really want a ball head and able to go up to eye level, so 5 feet. Do I need anything special for 3kg of kit or am I free to go cheap? Obviously don't want to risk my equipment but budget is perhaps £50. It's whether that'll do or if I have to wait and spend a lot more. Don't mind if I need to look at used.

Just have no clue on monopods! I find my tripod a hassle, hoping a monopod will seem less so.

Many mono pods are quite cheap these days. I have a Giottos ML-3290B which is rated at 15kgs but I am ashamed to say that I have never used it so not sure if the 15kgs is correct or not. For you £50 your will get something similar which will easily take the weight you mentioned.

Last edited:
For static birding you don't need a head, for BIF you don't need a monopod :)

IMO etc ;)

Fence post is free! Brick wall is free! Buy a beanbag to sit lens on and buy some dumb bells to capture birds in flight

Last edited:
I bought a giottos 3270B pro monopod new from Amazon for £25, silly deals come up now and again.

I can't move a brick wall to sit where I want it. People tend to moan about it. ;)

Unfortunately I have a diagnosed type medical issue, not just weaklingness, means dumbbells aren't so much help.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful :D

Back