Cheap studio backdrop advise needed Please

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi I could do with a little advise please if anybody can help :) I wanted to try my hand at some portrait photography but haven't got a massive budget So my wife bought me one of the cheap setups from Amazon for Christmas. Im having terrible trouble getting rid of the creases from the backdrops. They cant be ironed as even on the lowest setting the iron sticks to them ive tried using a damp cloth and a hot iron, steaming and rolling them but nothing works. Is there away to be able to use them or could anybody suggest an alternative affordable backdrop.

Thank you in advance Mark

Increase the distance between subject and the backdrop. Let the backdrop fall out of focus.

Increase the distance between subject and the backdrop. Let the backdrop fall out of focus.

They arent wide enough to get to far away Alastair so far ive only used the Black one but it still requires a lot of work in PP to get rid of them

Alternatively buy something which doesn't easily crease like paper or vinyl.

All in good time Simonbarker but for now I need something cost effective as im just trying it out

Thank you both for the comments

If you're using the black one use the inverse square law and interesting lighting to your advantage. Get the light closer to the subject, and high, feather it so theres very little light getting near the background,

Obviously this is easier with a gridded soft box or beauty dish. But even in a fairly small space I can make our cream living room curtains a black bg using a bd.

All in good time Simonbarker but for now I need something cost effective as im just trying it out

Almost any material can get the job done if you have the luxury of space (have you considered a large softbox behind the subject?) but without that you're going to have to sacrifice something to achieve better results, paper really isn't that expensive as you'll either use it lightly and can resell it (for a 1.35 x 11m roll assume £40 cost and £20 resale so a net cost of £20 which is about the same as buying a small muslin cotton backdrop) or you've used it heavily and it was useful.

Last edited:
Thank you Phil and Simon. Ive been looking in to paper rolls but hadn't considered anything that narrow. Phil I will try that the next opportunity I get
Mark

If you're using the black one use the inverse square law and interesting lighting to your advantage. Get the light closer to the subject, and high, feather it so theres very little light getting near the background,

Obviously this is easier with a gridded soft box or beauty dish. But even in a fairly small space I can make our cream living room curtains a black bg using a bd.

Thank you Phil, these are a couple with the Black background both taken in very cramped space with one softbox. Am I on the right track ? Obviously the B&W is a bit of a cheat but the hat was pink :)
View attachment 7145 View attachment 7146

Last edited:
They look good to me, are they a lot better than you were producing before?

Hi Mark, If you have a Boyes store near your they sell polycotton sheeting, £4 mtr and very wide, in lots of colours I got black, or a non plastic shower curtain, some irons have a steam facility on them try steaming the bg whilest on the rail might help.

Judi

They look good to me, are they a lot better than you were producing before?

Hi Phil ive not really tried before thats why I ended up with cheap stuff to start with. Im going to set something up at home this weekend and try things out.

Hi Mark, If you have a Boyes store near your they sell polycotton sheeting, £4 mtr and very wide, in lots of colours I got black, or a non plastic shower curtain, some irons have a steam facility on them try steaming the bg whilest on the rail might help.

Judi
Thank you Judi yes we have a boyes store not to far away I am going over that way later in the week so I will check them out. Ive tried ironing, steaming, rolling and stretching them but nothing works :( im not overly bothered because it wasnt expensive stuff. Just a little frustrated that they can get away with selling it

Back