Cheap video lighting

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Figured it was best to post in here instead of in lighting as its video related.

My brother in law vlogs, but always suffers with terrible lighting. He is currently shooting with either a FLIP or a webcam and always in doors.

What should he be looking at for some dirt cheap lighting to make the most of it?

I was thinking a couple of basic lamps + bare daylight bayonet bulbs. Would some LED's be better? Cheap lamps shades/softboxes recommended or would bare bulbs look ok?

Hi,

Figured it was best to post in here instead of in lighting as its video related.

My brother in law vlogs, but always suffers with terrible lighting. He is currently shooting with either a FLIP or a webcam and always in doors.

What should he be looking at for some dirt cheap lighting to make the most of it?

I was thinking a couple of basic lamps + bare daylight bayonet bulbs. Would some LED's be better? Cheap lamps shades/softboxes recommended or would bare bulbs look ok?

A lot of small dramas use workmen's lamps on tripods. About £25 from screwfix. Add some blackwrap and bulldog clips to create directional light.

You can get battery LED panels from 7dayshop for £15.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, going to look at getting a few bits for him this coming week to see what we can make :)

For vlog. Yeah, small eBay led panel for some front fill is probably a good bet.

What about LED panels? Thinking about getting some myself. Anyone have any experience of these?

tech.ebu.ch/docs/factsheets/ebu_fs_led-lights_web.pdf

Unless I am reading that incorrectly it doesn't really say anything other than "it has an effect on colours due to the temp of them!" which as a photographer you'd be testing WB anyway :confused:

Unless I am reading that incorrectly it doesn't really say anything other than "it has an effect on colours due to the temp of them!" which as a photographer you'd be testing WB anyway :confused:

I'll try and find the longer magazine article. From memory, there isn't enough blue light, so you can never balance and get the correct colours.

it's a vlog. LED lighting is widely used in commercial and news production, and has been for a good while now. It'll be fine, and is far better than any of the other alternatives for a little bit of front fill for a web video where the content really is the king

Thanks for the info, I'm just after something cheap and cheerful to get me started. Decided to give this a go, will let you know how I get on.

8mediacentral said:
Thanks for the info, I'm just after something cheap and cheerful to get me started. Decided to give this a go, will let you know how I get on.

Good choice.

Yup, that will do nicely. I've got a similar make and big brother of this (300 version), and it kicks out a lot of light for the size.

Back