Cheaper alternative to 24-70/105L

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all;

A search didn't reveal much info on this, so I was hoping that you could help.

My current kit is:

450D
Kit lens from a 300D, ie 18-55 non-IS
Nifty fifty
Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6
Canon EF 75-300

I'm entirely happy with the 10-20 and the nifty, and I take relatively few telephoto shots so the 75-300 seems fine too, provided you don't push its' limits, but the old kit lens is the closest I have to a "walkabout lens" and it gives the lowest IQ of all my lenses. The result of this is that I end up carting around the entire collection and constantly swapping lenses, mainly between the nifty and the 10-20.

Ideally, I would like a 24-105 IS L or 24-70 L, but the price tag seems hefty for a newbie amateur. If there is nothing of similar quality then they are affordable, but I want to be convinced that there is no cheaper alternative that will satisfy what I want (not what I need, that's an ixus... :D) before shelling out £7-800. I don't really want EF-S, as I would like to keep full-frame options open for the future.

I've been considering these:
Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
Sigma 24-70 (non HSM)

I'm not a pro, and never will be, but I enjoy this pursuit and take a pride in doing my best, even if it's not that great! Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received!

Well, the Sigma 24-70 is very highly regarded, but if you were considering portraits (which is what the two Canon L lenses you suggested are commonly used for) then you may find 70mm a bit short.

the sigma 18-125 takes a nice picture.;)

md(y)

I don't think you'd be disappointed with an older EF28-70/2.8L. Around £400 should find you a nice clean copy and that's a considerable saving over the newer EF24-70/2.8L.

Bob

Another vote here for the Sigma 24-70, just got one for my Nikons and its very nice indeed. Quite a big lump of lens too, but replaces the incredibly capable nikon 18-70 kits lens very well indeed. Yes, I have lost some at the wide end, but like you also have a 10-20, so not too much lost overall. I can't comment how it performs on a canon though i see no reason for it not being equally good. £290 from jessops atm, you will find it a bit cheaper if you shop around and more expensive, so a ball park figure.

And another vote for the Sigma 24-70 here. Got it a few months ago and it spends 90% of it's time on the camera! (y)

sorry had to return 24 70 sigma not sharp enough when concentrating on eye, if at 70 f4 very blurred 68 mm f4 then quite sharp but not to the standard i would expcet for portrait shot.

i would have to advocate save and get the best you can.
must admit all my other lenses are sigma and am more then happy, shame the 24 70 didnt match the quality of the 70 200 2.8 as that is a smack on lens.

Well, I hate to be the guy that asks for advice, and then ignores it.... but I've ordered a 24-105 IS L from T4 this afternoon. £680 delivered and I can claim the VAT back due to business use, so at £590 it's pretty much a used price for a new lens.

Thanks for the comments, but this way I cannot blame my equipment for poor results...

I would vote the 24-70 sigma (non HSM) i got mine second hand (6 months old) for less than £200, and been very very happy with it.

its extremely heavy and the 70mm is a bit short, you may want to lug your 75-300 in with you in case you need that extra length

10-20, 24-70, and 75-300 should cover most of your needs :)

shame the 24 70 didnt match the quality of the 70 200 2.8 as that is a smack on lens.

that's interesting, all versions the sigma 70-200 have focus consistency issues/front focus which would have render the shots to be almost useless in terms of sharpness.

I think this is the usual sigma caveat - QC can be dodgy and you have to be prepared to check lens thoroughly after purchase to ensure its operating corectly and take back for a swap/return to sigma for repair if it isn't. Its the downside to saving all that money over a nikon/canon eqivalent. Touvh wood, so far I have 5 sigma lenses and all have been spot on when purchased [I know this luck can't last forever, so here is where I stop buying them :LOL: ] and whilst the 10-20 is now due a visit to sigma as occasionally you have to mount it to camera several times before it shows an f number [as opposed to F0] I am very happy with all of them.

Which reminds me, I have had a wee issue with a Sigma TC, but might put iit in its own thread....

that's interesting, all versions the sigma 70-200 have focus consistency issues/front focus which would have render the shots to be almost useless in terms of sharpness.

Not all Ricky.........mine is an absolute peach too and at nearly £500 cheaper than the Canon I'm not about to part with it! :D

As an exercise I shot the Sigma and the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS side by side and even at 100% crop you would be hard pushed to tell the difference. My wedding clients sure as heck can't even with larger albums I can get them printed 16 inch and the IQ is great!

Not all Ricky.........mine is an absolute peach too and at nearly £500 cheaper than the Canon I'm not about to part with it! :D

As an exercise I shot the Sigma and the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS side by side and even at 100% crop you would be hard pushed to tell the difference. My wedding clients sure as heck can't even with larger albums I can get them printed 16 inch and the IQ is great!

printed mine up to 24 inch from the 70 200 no problems, as i said the other sigmas i have are smack on ran the same tests on the 70 200 as the 24 70 and the 24 70 was a shocking let down. wont stop me buying more sigmas

sorry for being off topic but could you link me to a couple of the 'tests' that you performed on you lens, since i'd be interested to give them a go and would prefer linked ones rather than just googling and trying the first thing that comes up.

I've had some great results with this, but g0t a bargain 24-70mm otherwise I'd still be using it. along with the 100-300mm f4 Sigma, it's one of the best independent lenses I have come across.

sorry for being off topic but could you link me to a couple of the 'tests' that you performed on you lens, since i'd be interested to give them a go and would prefer linked ones rather than just googling and trying the first thing that comes up.

set the tripod measured to subjects eye focused on the eye and went through flash no flash ramped up iso to get rid of the need for flash.
tried mirror lock up and cable release to get rid of any shakes.

did the same for both lens writing down each time what i had done.
down loaded to computer and then zoomed in to 400% see how sharp the lens really is.

some of the 24 70 could not make out iris markings just a blur.
70 200 fine.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with an older EF28-70/2.8L. Around £400 should find you a nice clean copy and that's a considerable saving over the newer EF24-70/2.8L.

Bob

I too was looking for a similar lens as I had "given away" my 17-85 IS to my friends daughter who bought my 400D, grip, etc.(She's a very promising future pro and I demanded a mention in her 1st book/display/ big payday)
Due to funds (or lack of) I bought a Sigma 28-70 f2.8 from ebay, It's been delivered but I haven't been home yet to try it.
I did the research stuff and although its not "top of the pile" It seemed to get decent reviews.
Has anyone got any views on this lens?
Cheers
Ian.

Back