Cheaper EF lens?

Edit My Images
No
Ok its getting close to pay day and i'll be purchasing a 50mm 1.8 for my eos 3 while its a great lens its a little too long in most situations so I'm wondering what I should use as my 'walkabout'

Range wise i'm not too fussed aslong as the wide end is 30mm or wider.

Looking to spend around £200-300? so what do you recommend?

I presume you already got the kit lens? If so, 28-135 USM IS would be the ideal lens for your budget.

I presume you already got the kit lens? If so, 28-135 USM IS would be the ideal lens for your budget.

nope no kit lens i'm afraid has been killing me having such a nice piece of kit and not being able to use it yet :bang::bonk:

i'll have a look into that lens (y)

I just sold my 28-135 today but only cos i have bought a 85mm f1.8 prime that i have been lusting after and i'll be saving for a 'L' lens too. I can whole heartedly recommend the 28-135mm IS USM. It's a corker!

I'm not too worried about IS any other suggestions maybe by third partys? :shrug::thinking:

Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-f4.5 Cracker!!!

Isn't that for EF-s fit? Will it give full coverage on a FF camera?

nope seems it is an EF lens ;) :) I think I might go with it seems to tick all the right boxes :D

edit:ignore that seems amazon isn't a reliable source :( ah the search goes on

Sigma 17-70 is a EF-s fit lens for crop sensor camera's. Canon EF 28-135 is a excellent lens for the money.

An EOS 3 is a "full-frame" film camera.

The Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-f4.5 is a lens for crop cameras such as the 500D, 50D, 7D, etc.

You will be able to mount it on an EOS 3 but it will give black corners. You really need a "full-frame" lens. The Canon 28 135 IS is OK, as is the Canon 24 85.

Sigma also has "full-frame" walkaround lenses, but I personally have no experience with them so can't recommend any.

Also if you are happy to have a slightly smaller zoom range the Tamron 28 75 f2.8 is excellent and it's a constant f2.8 through the zoom range. I use one on my 5D and it's almost as good as my prime lenses.

(well) Within your budget I'd go for a 28mm 2.8, mine stays on the front of my eos 5 90% of the time. If you'd be willing to spend a little more I'd go for a 24mm 2.8, just because wider is better :):)

if the "standard" 50mm on a EOS-3 is a bit long for your needs, how about trying to find a EF 20-35 USM? They come up reasonably regularly on Fleabay (though mostly at silly money from the US/Germany for some reason) and are a nice match to the EOS-3. Also make a great pair with either the 28-105mm USM or 28-135mm IS USM lenses.

Back