Checked in camera gear flying to Tanzania

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
guys
Next week I am going to Tanzania for 10 days Safari. I just tried to get all my gear in my backpack and can't so I am going to have to check in a camera body and the 300 f2.8 lens along with my laptop.
I have a pelican case to do that I just want to know your thoughts on doing that?
Neil

guys
Next week I am going to Tanzania for 10 days Safari. I just tried to get all my gear in my backpack and can't so I am going to have to check in a camera body and the 300 f2.8 lens along with my laptop.
I have a pelican case to do that I just want to know your thoughts on doing that?
Neil

I wouldn't do it....what airport are you flying out of? Also if you check in your laptop you have to take the battery out.

Personally I would not check in camera gear, especially with all those airports. I am speaking from the point of view of someone who works for an airline. It's a huge risk imo. Rationalise what you are taking so you can take it in the cabin. If you are travelling with someone else load them up with gear.

Insure the gear and make sure it's actually covered for damage, loss and theft...

Insure the gear and make sure it's actually covered for damage, loss and theft...

Won't necessarily help when you arrive at your destination with no gear though.

@ndwgolf Do you need 15Kg of gear?

If you do, then at least split it between checked in and carry on, with your most used gear as carry on, that way you've still got something to shot with when you bags end up somewhere else :)

Last edited:
Won't necessarily help when you arrive at your destination with no gear though.

@ndwgolf Do you need 15Kg of gear?

If you do, then at least split it between checked in and carry on, with your most used gear as carry on, that way you've still got something to shot with when you bags end up somewhere else :)
David my second hand carry should stay with me all the way from KL to Dar a Salam and then might have to put it in the hold for that last short flight to Arusha...... if thats the case I will put the 70/200 and D800 body in each of my safari jackets and laptop in hand.........I will also have a bunch of $20 notes in my pocket to maybe help my way through

Only put in the hold what you could at a pinch do without. If you can't get everything essential in cabin baggage you can get a lot in the capacious pockets of a good safari vest or one of those vests made purely for the purposes of pocketing excess cabin gear. I have a safari vest which has two huge internal underarm pockets each of which can just manage a DSLR with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens attached, and a small of back pocket which can take a small laptop. Incidentally, last time I flew out on holiday I didn't take a laptop. I took enough memory cards for all the photos, plus a small tablet with Bluetooth keyboard to see how that worked as a pocketable photo editing and uploading computer.

Editing DSLR photos with an Android tablet (Nexus 7 original) on holiday by Chris Malcolm, on Flickr

It worked surprisingly well. Pretty slow & fiddly, but helped to pass idle time entertainingly :) Technical details can be found in the Flickr description.

You know Chris I nearly bought the Nikon 80/400 f4.5-5.6 and that would have solved all the problems except for the IQ of the images and the main reason for this thrip is to get the best IQ images so thats why I am in the predicament right now :)

Check that your insurance is still valid if you put gear into the hold.

If you are travelling with someone else load them up with gear.
This.

On a different note, we had a nightmare at Arusha Airport... our flight was cancelled without notice and without reason, we were transferred to Kilimanjaro airport where we were told our tickets would be valid (of course they weren't), so we had to wait about 6 hours in the airport and buy new tickets. Whilst that's not entirely relevant to you, it's another reason to keep your camera gear with you so it doesn't go walkies in the event of any 'logistics' problems.

out of interest, who are you safari-ing with?

You may find that discrete application of $100 in used notes ensures lost luggage is found. Only airport we've ever actually, fully lost stuff at is Or Tambo. And even the check in staff there warn you that this may happen.

Peli cases, whilst good, usually point to valuables within. Can you not put it inside your rucksack?

Pay for my ticket - and I'll carry it for you. I'm cheaper and more reliable than an insurance policy :)

Last edited:
Pay for my ticket - and I'll carry it for you. I'm cheaper and more reliable than an insurance policy :)
I woke up this morning thinking about that this morning............its ~$125 one way from DAR to JKO, maybe need to buy an extra seat :) :)

This is what I am taking.....all but the 70/200 and one body can't fit in my back pack............
IMG_1373.JPG

Take less! 2 back up bodies is overkill. Pack what you can't live without then add stuff to capacity in need/want order.

On my annual trip to S Africa - I get two bodies, a 300mm f2.8VR, 300mm f4, 50mm f1.8, 16 35mm and my MPB in my carry on backpack - stuff my pockets with lens if necessary and hang a camera and 300mm f4 around my neck until I get on the plane, (small and big) .. never let them out of my sight

Back in 2008 I put a DSLR in my checked in baggage from Bremen in Germany to Stanstead. It had a lock and when I arrived at Stanstead the lock was still on so I thought nothing of it. Got home and opened it up, camera was gone. Spoke to the airline and they said because I left the airport without saying something, there's nothing I can do. Insurance said that if you put it in hold, it's invalidated. My own fault but I never thought about it. I'd never risk it again! Worst thing wasn't the camera but all the photos of my girlfriend at the time on our holiday which some random person had access to (nothing too personal).

Back in 2008 I put a DSLR in my checked in baggage from Bremen in Germany to Stanstead. It had a lock and when I arrived at Stanstead the lock was still on so I thought nothing of it. Got home and opened it up, camera was gone. Spoke to the airline and they said because I left the airport without saying something, there's nothing I can do. Insurance said that if you put it in hold, it's invalidated. My own fault but I never thought about it. I'd never risk it again! Worst thing wasn't the camera but all the photos of my girlfriend at the time on our holiday which some random person had access to (nothing too personal).
Chris since chatting on here I will hand carry everything.....sorry to hear of your experience

Before you check any camera gear in to go in the hold try this series of simple tests.
  • Pack your gear in the case you'll be using.
  • Drop the case out of a third story window.
  • Drop it again.
  • Run over the case with a large truck.
  • Reverse back over the case.
  • Leave the case unattended in a none-too-pleasant part of town - overnight.
If your gear is still OK after that, then it's OK to stick it in the hold.

On my last safari I took two bodies, 300 f2.8, 70-200 f4, 24-105 f4, swarovski binoculars, hyperdrive colorspace and various filters etc. Total weight just over 15kg. No problems.

Job done
just need to put 70/200mm, 14/24 and D810 in Safari Jacket pockets
The rest fits in the backpack
IMG_1376.JPG

Never been abroad with a camera (yet) but I've always been told never to put any camera gear in the hold.

Someone else said to put gaffa tape over the make and model details as people leave them alone then

Never been abroad with a camera (yet) but I've always been told never to put any camera gear in the hold.

Someone else said to put gaffa tape over the make and model details as people leave them alone then

Because people with cheap cameras are want to hiding the make and model? We're I off the criminal persuasion any covering where obvious branding should be would really grab my attention. The old courier trick of covering a good bicycle in tape to disguise it is only effective when it is surrounded by rubbish bikes covered in tape other wise it just stands out.

Andy Rouse says if you really must check it in put it in a pelicase or something similar then put that inside a raggedy old suitcase or kit bag , something that looks like it doesnt contain anything of value. (he flies a fair bit so i guess its good advice though ive not tried it myself) , he also says make sure you have at least one body and one versatile lens in your hand luggage so if the worst happens you aren't completely stuffed

This is what I am taking.....all but the 70/200 and one body can't fit in my back pack............
View attachment 54116

I'd have said you have too much gear there - you are never going to be able to take all that on game drives , or use it effectively if you did - I'd suggest you could get it down to two bodies and at least one less lens

I'd have said you have too much gear there - you are never going to be able to take all that on game drives , or use it effectively if you did - I'd suggest you could get it down to two bodies and at least one less lens
Why do you think that I won't be able to take it all on a game drive?

Space in the vehicle - unless you are on one of those luxurious vehicle to yourself adventures in the average vehicle there'll be no room to stash all that kit in an accesible position without seriously inconveniencing other customers

Space in the vehicle - unless you are on one of those luxurious vehicle to yourself adventures in the average vehicle there'll be no room to stash all that kit in an accesible position without seriously inconveniencing other customers
I should be okay I'm on my own with just me and a guide/driver

I should be okay I'm on my own with just me and a guide/driver

Nice ... that'll be brilliant

It would be interesting to get an update when you come back on how much of your kit you actually used though as i'd still say you've got too much

I guess the OP has gone already. However, what I've done before is put my big lens (400 2.8) on a camera body, and hand carry it onto the plane along with whatever hand luggage I've got. Not had a problem with doing that on flights before. Gets a few looks though :).

Having the most fantastic time of my life here in Tanzania. All the bag stuff went great so no worries.
I will post up some pictures of my trip once I get back from the Safari........ Heads up I've got some crackers so keep an eye out for a thread named Going "Wild" in Tanzania

I wish KR would do that on safari to get detail shots of hyenas' teeth...

Back