Cheerleader studio shoot..speeds ?

Dave and Garry, I'd just like to thank you both for the flash advice. It's the sort of thing I need to read over and over again and is finally beginning to sink in!

Jez, congrats on the shots, I think they're both pretty good!

Thanks.. but as we can all read, it doesn't need to be thrust down our throats more than once on the same thread..

Nice Hijack Diddy !! :woot:

Is anyone going to ask about speed of motion v's flash speed ?
i.e. the terminal velocity of the girls jumping...
Please notice that one of the shots is of the girls accelerating vertically and the other is at the peak whick means they are hardly moving !!

I await the interesting responses from someone who has more than my grade 3 General Science GCSE..

Merry Christmas.. I have enjoyed this one...

Thanks.. but as we can all read, it doesn't need to be thrust down our throats more than once on the same thread..

Nice Hijack Diddy !! :woot:

Is anyone going to ask about speed of motion v's flash speed ?
i.e. the terminal velocity of the girls jumping...
Please notice that one of the shots is of the girls accelerating vertically and the other is at the peak whick means they are hardly moving !!

I await the interesting responses from someone who has more than my grade 3 General Science GCSE..

Merry Christmas.. I have enjoyed this one...

A free falling object achieves its terminal velocity when the downward force of gravity (Fg)equals the upward force of drag (Fd). This causes the net force on the object to be zero, resulting in an acceleration of zero. Mathematically an object asymptotically approaches and can never reach its terminal velocity.

Terminal velocity...

As the object accelerates (usually downwards due to gravity), the drag force acting on the object increases. At a particular speed, the drag force produced will equal the object's weight (mg). Eventually, it plummets at a constant speed called terminal velocity (also called settling velocity). Terminal velocity varies directly with the ratio of drag to weight. More drag means a lower terminal velocity, while increased weight means a higher terminal velocity. An object moving downward with greater than terminal velocity (for example because it was affected by a downward force or it fell from a thinner part of the atmosphere or it changed shape) will slow until it reaches terminal velocity.

I'd say... make sure the flash is fast enough and alls well - ok

:D

DD

I'd seriously doubt the girls could jump high enough :LOL:

Not getting enough...

...bromide in your tea Dave? ;)

Jez,

I can't understand your response mate... YOU may of understood what was being said, but it's clear that others didn't, and as this is a public forum (you may have post the OP). many, many others will read it.

Both Dave and Garry (one A, two R's) have provided excellent responses and you seem to throw it back in their faces. If you don't want help, why ask ?

Dave, my Mrs says can you spare some bromide :LOL:

Merry Christmas :D

Steve

Jez,

I can't understand your response mate... YOU may of understood what was being said, but it's clear that others didn't, and as this is a public forum (you may have post the OP). many, many others will read it.

Both Dave and Garry (one A, two R's) have provided excellent responses and you seem to throw it back in their faces. If you don't want help, why ask ?

Dave, my Mrs says can you spare some bromide :LOL:

Merry Christmas :D

Steve

Stevie mate.... calm down... it's only a forum.....

Oh and please keep it clean, all 3 girls are only 15 and friends of my family..

Stevie mate.... calm down... it's only a forum.....

Oh and please keep it clean, all 3 girls are only 15 and friends of my family..

I'm calm, I just don't understand why you ask for comments and then come back so negatively. Why would people offer you advice in the future ?

And just to confirm, the "bromide" comment was a follow on to DD's post, it would take a bit more a few 15 year olds to get me exited (especially at my age).

Steve

maybe just the comments could have been a little more ..'softer' :D

I have to say I'm with Jelster here. To see people ask a question and then get aggressive when people try to help is not what I consider sensible behaviour. It is clear that some people did not read or understand the comments and so Garry tried to make it clearer. If you don't want advice, then don't ask.

for some, learning is a long & bumpy road... lol this all started as i happened to miss one of this thread's replies....

Oh dear.....

I sit here smiling and watching Norad tracking Santa. thinking that some people really do take this to seriously..

My only complaint about the "advice" was that it was repeated and enlarged and Bold.. looking like I didn't get it the first few times...

I wish you all including Gerry a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

Jez.

the big bold thing was directed at me, as i happened to accidentally skip that reply. not like its the end of the world

I know, but it's fun watching people bite...

Thanks for your interest.. I daren't post any more pic's... lol

Dave & Garry,
I get what you've both explained but would I be correct in saying that this is only true if there is very little or no ambient light? I've no experience of using flash to speak of but would have thought that if you have a fairly bright room the shutter speed would make a difference as instead of recording black (or nothing) you'd capture whatever was there before (or after) the flash fires?
Apologies if this is a stupid question but as mentioned, other than the pop up for the occasional fill burst, I have no experience of using flash at all.

Yoby,
You're right, for the shutter speed to be totally irrelevant there has to be little or no ambient light, at least in most situations.

Dave was speaking in italics when using a 1 second exposure as an example. In practical terms, you might take a test shot with no flash at say 1/60th sec and if nothing is recorded then obviously there's no point in using an even shorter shutter speed.
But if, for example, you have sunlight streaming through a window the the ISO 100 exposure might be as high as 1/100th @ f/16 so you may need to use a faster shutter speed to stop (or minimise) the effect of the sunlight.

In this shot though that obviously didn't apply, the only excess light was from the flash light bounced off of the background so it would have been pointless (as well as risky) to use a fast shutter speed to reduce the effect of light that didn't even exist.

Dave & Garry,
I get what you've both explained but would I be correct in saying that this is only true if there is very little or no ambient light? I've no experience of using flash to speak of but would have thought that if you have a fairly bright room the shutter speed would make a difference as instead of recording black (or nothing) you'd capture whatever was there before (or after) the flash fires?
Apologies if this is a stupid question but as mentioned, other than the pop up for the occasional fill burst, I have no experience of using flash at all.

Nope it's not stupid at all

My studio has about 20 flourescent lights in the ceiling, so it is really quite bright to one's eyes, but 1/250th (my sync speed) at f8 records nothing at all, and virtually nothing at 1/125th too - to record any ambient light properly would need a shutter speed of around 1/30th sec

So using anything above about 1/125 means there is effectively no other light source than the flash, hence the shutter speed as such is irrelevant

:)

DD

Thanks for that chaps
Was a bit confused but with both additional explanations it's finally making sense now. Was playing yesterday with the pop up flash and messed it up so much that I got better results with the nifty fifty and no flash.

Armed with the additional info I'll be having another go later
Thanks again
Dave

Back