Chernobyl/Pripyat 2012

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I recently spent a week in Ukraine and of that week I spent 3 days in Chernobyl and the abandoned town of Pripyat, it was a photo/exploration trip - I'm going to have to return next year as there's just too much to see!

I was lucky to have some brilliant guides, 2 Polish guys and some local Ukrainian guides helped our group really get stuck in and let us explore pretty freely which is a fairly rare occurence in the zone these days!

Please be warned some of these photos are not with the strictest photographic eye, but more of an attempt to capture the atmosphere in what is one of the most incredible places I've visited.

Here is a link to the full set on Flickr:

Flickr Link

And below are a few of my favorites:

8084148345_d947530f47_c.jpg

8084144047_1eacfb1f3b_c.jpg

8084136729_ec16c9310c_c.jpg

8084123336_3528a163ef_c.jpg

Cheers for looking! George.

Wow, nice shots. very eerie to say the least.
you choose some excellent compositions.

Thanks mate, it's an eerie place - It's hard to get the compositions right when there is just so much to take it - A few lucky ones though!

this place evokes spine chilling terror and morbid fascination in me - stunning place for photos and you have captured the atmosphere really well. (y)

Please be warned some of these photos are not with the strictest photographic eye, but more of an attempt to capture the atmosphere in what is one of the most incredible places I've visited.

That usually makes for the most interesting and engaging shots. This set proves this admirably.

Superb work. I'm jealous of you being able to spend time there.

Perfect job. Amazing. This type of the experience is more atractive than any other shooting.

Fantastic set. As others have said they really capture the atmosphere of the place - not that I've been there. Great light on 2 and 3 - and I like the voyeuristic nature of 2 with the shot looking through the door.

An excellent and emotive set of images. Quite frankly a very eery and moving set of images. I am keen to try and get there myself in 2013 before it is all sealed off, as the rumours go. Can I ask how you arranged the guides?

Great shots of what must be a very eerie place. Looked at your set on Flickr and really would love to go there. Mind you having just watched the film "Chernobyl Diaries" which I presumed was filmed there, I might have second thoughts..:puke:

Fantastic images. I am green with envy.

The more & more times I see images from either here or for Auschwitz the more I would like to go - its not to everyones taste (esp the OH) but I'm drawn to wanting to go.... Just for the photography side of it.

Brilliant, I would absolutely love to go here, it would be a dream trip, how did you find staying in the country I heard it can be dodgy especially the police, are they just old wife's tales?

I went through the Flickr set. Very interesting location.

How were you checked for radioactive contamination on your shoes & clothes when you left the area?

There are large full body scanners in Chernobyl train station, anyone in and out of the zone is scanned and it is monitored by the military police!

An excellent and emotive set of images. Quite frankly a very eery and moving set of images. I am keen to try and get there myself in 2013 before it is all sealed off, as the rumours go. Can I ask how you arranged the guides?

A friend organises the trip every year, he knows the guides through an obscure online friendship! He's not organising next year but I'm considering organising a trip if he doesn't fancy the hassle again!

Last edited:
Brilliant, I would absolutely love to go here, it would be a dream trip, how did you find staying in the country I heard it can be dodgy especially the police, are they just old wife's tales?

I absolutely loved the country, it's completely insane! I think there is a fair bit of truth in the dodgy police thing- a few people passports taken by the military at one point, nearly had to buy them back!

Last edited:
For some reaosn - not entirely sure - the chair one is my favourite. Not chilling, but still mysterious and perfectly shot. Lovely photo. :)

just had a chance to look at the set and i think the chair is the stand out one for me too, has a little something extra to it.

I really want to go to this place

Thanks chaps, the chair shot is my favorite too.

You can organise daytrips from Kiev without much hassle, spending more time in the zone is when you have to start thinking about getting a group together though - Maybe we'll do a TP trip next year??

Yes It really looks like an awesome place to visit for extreme tours, I was told that you can't touch anything there, some people used to loot and steal things to keep or sell on ebay, but they still had active radiation on them and people started to get sick.

Mind you having just watched the film "Chernobyl Diaries" which I presumed was filmed there, I might have second thoughts..:puke:

What did you make of this film?? I thought it was terrible!!

Different note, the photos are amazing and I would love to have the opportunity to go there and take some myself!

What did you make of this film?? I thought it was terrible!!

Different note, the photos are amazing and I would love to have the opportunity to go there and take some myself!

I thought it was an OK film.....typical stuff that gets churned out these days. The bear made me jump..:eek:

While I was watching it I was thinking what a great place for shots, then when I saw these photos from GeoVDub I realised it was filmed there. Would love to go, looks amazing.

Just been through the entire set on Flickr, some very powerful images there.

Back