Critique Chernobyl's Ferris Wheel.

JDP

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,

So I finally made it to Chernobyl last week, I went with a bunch of photos in mind, however they didn't work in my eyes - was wondering where I went wrong, and why these photos are sub-parr. Love to know or next time as my trip was just a taster, next time I will be going for a solid week to get the shots.

Urban/Building photography isn't my strong point. I think I need to work on it before I go next time - only problem I can't go 'Urban Exploring' without permission due to my current job haha.

Any help/feedback would be greatly welcomed,

IMG_2270.jpgIMG_2276.jpgIMG_2297.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2296.jpg
    IMG_2296.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 2
For me , it's the light, looks like middle of the day hours, with blue, featureless skies and garish, contrasty sunlight. It might be better with autumnal tress, or mono bare trees.

A place like this needs drama, it was a dramatic event and personally I would try to portray that as best I could. I can imagine it early morning, or early evening, with, dramatic, oppresive, leaden skies with a hint of light on the wheel. It's a big ask I know but that's why photography is so challenging and so satisfying when the conditions play ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDP
For me , it's the light, looks like middle of the day hours, with blue, featureless skies and garish, contrasty sunlight. It might be better with autumnal tress, or mono bare trees.

A place like this needs drama, it was a dramatic event and personally I would try to portray that as best I could. I can imagine it early morning, or early evening, with, dramatic, oppresive, leaden skies with a hint of light on the wheel. It's a big ask I know but that's why photography is so challenging and so satisfying when the conditions play ball.
Thanks for your input buddy.

Thinking about it I really agree with you. It was about 15:00 on a pretty cloudless day in September so yeah light was a bit crap. I guess if I had some ND filters or worked in lightroom a little bit more. I was thinking if a sky replacement might make a differnece? - Instagram filters do a great job making it look awesome!! haha.

Completely agree it does need drama, when I go again next I am hoping it will be in March 2022 so though daylight will be shorter I think there will be much more dramatic light. I just worry about crap weather haha.

Yeah, its so challenging I wish there was some way we can control the conditions. haha.

Last edited:
Chernobyl is on my bucket list. The problem is, if you're travelling to such places, you have to take what you get when you are there and I would also imagine the restrictions for Chernobyl don't help either.

I'd maybe take a step back too and include more of the landscape, as well as the closer images.

It's so worth going if you're interested - it's a great history lesson of Soviet times! But absolutely, get what you can - I think because I was in such a big group, I felt a bit rushed and It was the first time there, I was awfully giddy. So next time I can be more collective of my thoughts as I'll go by myself (with the guide) and there are some restrictions, but honestly it's not too bad. I think if you're in a small group you can be a bit sneaky. I know I went into a few buildings I shouldn't have done, but came out okay (according to the dosemieter and radiation checkpoints). The main restrictions are you're not allowed to go into buildings, which is fair - but only 2 (I think) have cameras and alarms the rest are fairgame. I went inside the school with all the masks, which was cool.

Again, thats a good shout - getting the overall area to give it a bit more context and life!

Back