Chess

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Last night, I, with my chess.com rating of 850. I beat a player with a rating of nearly 1600. Whoop!

Don't know if anyone knows what this means but I just wanted to tell someone, anyone, as it doesn't happen very often (actually, it never has before to me).

That's it, I'm happy now.

:D

I know the moves but am not a "good" player. However, I can sometimes beat friends who ARE good by doing the unexpected and often wrong things!

Well done, Martin.

I have a chess computer but have not used it for many years. It has 8 levels. I started at level 1 but beat it every time so moved to level 2. Within a short time I was winning 80% so moved to level 3. After some months on Level 3 I could win about 70% so moved to Level 4 but never really mastered this level; I should have continued but had no reason to become good at chess. Level 8 was just for problem solving. The Times used to publish such problems usually taken from games by the top international players. For this mode there was no time limit and it solved all the problems I set up. There used to be a Microsoft chess game on my computer and my two nephews used to play it but could win almost every time whereas they found my chess computer too tough to beat. They preferred a live game against a human on a conventional chessboard.

Dave

I have a chess computer but have not used it for many years. It has 8 levels. I started at level 1 but beat it every time so moved to level 2. Within a short time I was winning 80% so moved to level 3. After some months on Level 3 I could win about 70% so moved to Level 4 but never really mastered this level; I should have continued but had no reason to become good at chess. Level 8 was just for problem solving. The Times used to publish such problems usually taken from games by the top international players. For this mode there was no time limit and it solved all the problems I set up. There used to be a Microsoft chess game on my computer and my two nephews used to play it but could win almost every time whereas they found my chess computer too tough to beat. They preferred a live game against a human on a conventional chessboard.

Dave
Hi David, which chess computer do you have please?

I'd recommend chess.com over a program. You play against a "program" at various levels, or find a live opponent at your level. It also has many training exercises.

It is Chess Challenger made by Fidelity Electronics Ltd, Miami Florida. Having dug it out from the bottom of a cupboard, I am tempted to power up and give it a game.

Dave

I don't understand but I'm happy for you!

Well done. May this be the first of many high rating scalps!

I used to occasionally play other people at computer pool.... I never lost... but I did spend far too much time playing it.

Last night, I, with my chess.com rating of 850. I beat a player with a rating of nearly 1600. Whoop!

Don't know if anyone knows what this means but I just wanted to tell someone, anyone, as it doesn't happen very often (actually, it never has before to me).

That's it, I'm happy now.

:D

Congratulations! Going back a long time now, I remember a game called Battle Chess back in 1988 and loved it! Was a hilarious twist on the game. More recently I bought a handmade chess set from a vendor in the Kraków Cloth Hall whilst the Pope's car [or dummy car] was whizzing around doing test runs in preparation for his visit the following week. Can't beat a nice handmade chess set.

Congratulations! Going back a long time now, I remember a game called Battle Chess back in 1988 and loved it! Was a hilarious twist on the game. More recently I bought a handmade chess set from a vendor in the Kraków Cloth Hall whilst the Pope's car [or dummy car] was whizzing around doing test runs in preparation for his visit the following week. Can't beat a nice handmade chess set.
Indeed, I'd love to collect chess sets but I'd have to get the wife to get rid of her massive collection of Charlie Bears first.

Back