Chester Zoo Trip

Edit My Images
Yes
We had a trip out to Chester Zoo on Sunday, weather wasn't all that great, the crowds were horrible in places (the ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me) and so many of the animals weren't visible, but still managed to get a few shots I was pleased with:

Tiger, taken with my clangy EF 90-300 at 300mm, f5.6

My favourite Asian Elephant shot of the day, taken with Tamron Adaptall 70-210 wide open at f3.8, ISO 500:

I don't suppose anyone could I.D this little fella for me please?

There were many more but I've not had chance to edit them all yet. All images clickable for larger versions.

I should have said I am not an expert, but I was in Kenya earlier this month and saw a few glimpses of these. Didn't manage to get a shot so you're lucky it stayed still for you! Think my ID is correct after looking up on wikipedia

Thankyou very much for your comments. I like to prove you can do wildlife (well when I say wild life...but hey they still move!) shots with old MF lenses :)

Talking of wildlife, does anyone know of a good sanctury with hides in the west yorkshire area?

#2 for me, texture in the elephant shot is great. Despite many attempts at this sort of shot i never got close to one like this.

#2 for me, texture in the elephant shot is great. Despite many attempts at this sort of shot i never got close to one like this.

Thankyou very much - it was the exact look I was after and I was extremely pleased to have managed it, especially as it was with one of my many manual focus lenses. I started the day off with an EF90-300mm which is a horrible lens but I wanted the extra reach. I later swapped to my 70-210 Tamron Adaptall and I'm really glad I did, the image quality is a lot better.

some great shots there :D. i agree with you about peopls ignorance when i went a couple of years ago with the gf it was really busy and we were more or less queing to get to the viewing windows and people would just bring there kids forward and push them infront of you after you had waited, by the end of the day if anyone was at a window i would bypass it. spoilt my day tbh :(

Excellent shots really like the first elephant and the tiger is great you did well its a difficult enclosure to get a good shot from
I went recently it was really busy got fed up with people with push chairs using them to block off the front of veiwing areas
I,m going back tomm hoping it will be quiet:)
Pete

Thanks guys, thought this thread had died a death already!

Yeah the crowds nearly ruined things for us too - we actually had a pushchair with us, but we were waiting patiently while a gap appeared before approaching the windows etc, what upset us is nearly every time we were then pushed out of the way again by more ignorant people. Someone actually grabbed my girlfriends rear end, and an older women (who ought to know better) pushed in front of me while I was framing for a shot in the aquarium, I was off balance at the time and I nearly fell over. I felt like doing something about it but why bother - if she was ignorant enough to do it in the first place then she wasn't the sort of person to learn or even apologise so I just left the aquarium. We learnt our lesson and will be going back when its less busy.

Back