Chesteron Sunrise

Name
Muntazeem
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Been a while since i wen out with my camera. Wen oyu a last week with a few friends to chesterton windmill to grab the sun rise.

Im trying to develop a hdr style thats not over cooked.. but im not sure if im there yet.

i find it hard to process and be satisfied.

anyways here is one of the shots taken with a 5d2, using magic latern fw and processed using lightroom and photomatix

8270497926_619c456aec_z.jpg
[/url]
Chesteron HDR Sunrise by Munty76, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looks quite pleasant...how are you bracketing your shots?? Looks fine in my phone - perhaps a slight under exposure of the windmill.

I'd probably be going for about 5-6 stops worth of exposure in this heavily backlit scene and then possibly 1 up and down either way of the ...first and last raw.

Then I find photomatix does quite a good job of putting them together. Rarely do I even move the sliders...

I think this was a 5 exposure shot.

As its been a while since iv been out i left in auto mode where ML decided how many bracketed shots to take, so some were up to 9, others were less.

its been heavily tweaked in lightroom to under expose the top layer of the sky to give it more drama. and then i processed the windmill a little brighter to bring out the detail.

My first edit, had the sky much lighter and bluer...and the windmill had poor detail and exposure.

I think this was a 5 exposure shot.

As its been a while since iv been out i left in auto mode where ML decided how many bracketed shots to take, so some were up to 9, others were less.

its been heavily tweaked in lightroom to under expose the top layer of the sky to give it more drama. and then i processed the windmill a little brighter to bring out the detail.

My first edit, had the sky much lighter and bluer...and the windmill had poor detail and exposure.

Looking forward to seeing tonight when I get home on the laptop then as it looks good on the phone :)

Cool,

i really should get my dell screen calibrated. Switching between my MBPr and dell screen is like night and diff.

HDR and colours look really good, I think it might look better if the windmill wasn't as central in the frame though. Maybe if you had moved to the right a bit to get the sun between the arches of the windmill?

HDR and colours look really good, I think it might look better if the windmill wasn't as central in the frame though. Maybe if you had moved to the right a bit to get the sun between the arches of the windmill?

I took just over 300 shots that day.. ;)

star burst sun through the arches is amongst them... just havent got round to processing them yet...

As said above it is a bit central in the frame but there is plenty of potential in this location. You have some nice colours there. MWHCVT on this forum has taken loads of great shots here, search through some of his threads.

As said above it is a bit central in the frame but there is plenty of potential in this location. You have some nice colours there. MWHCVT on this forum has taken loads of great shots here, search through some of his threads.

thats what inspired me. His shots are lovely. I used to pass by everyday to work before we moved sites, but that was also before i had my gear.

Thanks for the notes, ill bear that in mind when I process the next few.

Looking very impressive, on the first image, if I was you, think I'd have a play with the curves a little in Photoshop to give it a bit of a boost, wondering what a black vignette would do to it, nothing to severe though. Good work on the HDR, seen so many over-backed HDR attempts by others.

Hi,

Im trying to develop a hdr style thats not over cooked..

I've yet to see a HDR image that's not overcooked, and this suffers as much as most, colours are skewed, slight halos, and as usual, all the shadows have been bleached, giving a very clinical feel to the image.

Also, the main subject is slap bang in the middle of the frame, which rarely works well.

Second is a stronger composition, but is a little top heavy on the left as both main subjects are there.

But I do like where you are going with these (compositionally not processing), I hope you go back and explore further, it looks an attractive subject.

I'll start by saying that HDR isn't normally my thing although I do have a couple of my own.

Les makes valid points but personally I do quite like the effect, it's the green that I find just a tad too much..I think with another tweak or two you may well have a chance of them not looking too OTT

Simon

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am guilty of rushing my shots unfortunately. So will try and plan better next time, its the second time iv been there. Iv got a few shots from my first visit there which i feel are a better composition but need to re process them.

I know what you mean about looking clinical. I seem to get carried away when i process shots , and in reality this is not really natural looking at all... more of an artistic reproduction of what i saw.

I've yet to see a HDR image that's not overcooked, and this suffers as much as most, colours are skewed, slight halos, and as usual, all the shadows have been bleached, giving a very clinical feel to the image.

Also, the main subject is slap bang in the middle of the frame, which rarely works well.

Second is a stronger composition, but is a little top heavy on the left as both main subjects are there.

But I do like where you are going with these (compositionally not processing), I hope you go back and explore further, it looks an attractive subject.

Not all HDR's are overlooked

Erddig Colour I by kennysarmy, on Flickr

Not all HDR's are overlooked

It is to my eyes, to repeat, your colours are skewed, halos, shadows bleached, and in addition, you have significant red/green CA on the left chimney, so it looks well overcooked to me.

But each to their own, if you like the surreal effect HDR's produce, then that's fine.

liking that windmill. I hate overcooked HDR, that is about as far as I would push it.

Looks quite similar to when MWHCVT, thedodo and I "set light" to it one night on one of my frequent trips to Stratford on Avon.

To be fair we did set Matt on fire almost, but the windmill was undamaged.

Back