Chesterton Windmill Star Trails

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Just to get in on the action as I was there as well.

Despite a catastrophic card failure halfway through (lost all the images and unable to recover) i managed to get a second batch of files to work with.

here's my best effort. All C&C welcomed.

Attempt 2 by SimianSpy, on Flickr

110 stacked images of 30 seconds
Iso 800 @ F4
(IS off!)

thank Matt for organising this and making sure it all ran smoothly. I will be doing more. (with the Firmware updated on the 7d...)

That is wonderful Ben, I'm pleased you got a great trail in the end as it was quite a torrid time for you :eek: I told you that even the shorter time that you ended up with would still look good and it had :clap: you've even captured and Iridium Flare in there (y)

Your welcome on the organising front (y) it was a pleasure even if the weather had be on edge :(

Matt

Cheers guys. I'm really happy with the shot.

Is the iridium flare the almost flash above the centre of the top sails?

Yay Nice Ben (y)

Cheers, I think I lost 45-50 minutes of shots, maybe a bit more. There's nothing at all on the card, the file recovery software didn't find anything. Either way it doesn't matter I got a shot im happy with and learned how to do it again.

Going to try doing it again by the lighthouse near where im going in Cornwall next week, should be able to get a Polaris shot if I position myself right.

Near padstow, it'll be the dinas head / trevose head lighthouse. Just hoping for a clear night next week.

Excellent job Ben... really liking that. Good composition, the colours in the stars are clear. and the flare (looks like an iridium to me too) is an excellent add... actually, looks like you might have got a less bright one just below it too.

I absolutely love windmills and star trails, so this to me is an absolutely brilliant shot! Wish I had a windmill like that, local to me :) :clap:

SUPERB Shot. Love the composition, foreground subject and the trails are brilliant.

As a matter of Interest, you mention updated Firmware for your 7D. Is this the 1.2.5 FW or are you running a custom one?

I'd missed the update to 1.2.5 which had the fix in it. Not sure how I'd missed it but I had.

Lesson learned.

Cheers for comments.

Back