Wild Chicken run

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

This Cock has been on the run for about 8 weeks so far, the only survivor of the 4 that decided to escape.

Early grey morning - 1/400 - f5.6 - ISO 12,600 - 600mm

Cock on the run
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

He’s a cracker :)

He’s a cracker :)
He is ... hopefully the others were caught and returned rather than ...... :eek:
He is a nice Bird, I'm afraid we have a healthy looking fox now, no one seems to be looking for them, I've tried to round them up before, but didn't work out, I think he tucks himself high in the Blackthrone hedge at night beside a Pheasant pen.

Welsummer? Gav have a dig is that what the hens looked like?

Sadly, in my experience, it's always the guys that "escape". We've had people just turn up with them because we keep chickens. On two occasions we've had people decide to keep them after we refused them, only to have them "escape" again once they realise how noisy they are! In my experience it's down to people buying very young "hens" only to discover they are not ladies down the line.

They sure do look fine though. Nice image.

Welsummer? Gav have a dig is that what the hens looked like?
I've not seen any hens, he is running around in open fields with a tiny patch of wood to hide in.
It does look like a Welsummer.
We did wonder if they were released do to noise or Birdflu

Sadly, in my experience, it's always the guys that "escape". We've had people just turn up with them because we keep chickens. On two occasions we've had people decide to keep them after we refused them, only to have them "escape" again once they realise how noisy they are! In my experience it's down to people buying very young "hens" only to discover they are not ladies down the line.

They sure do look fine though. Nice image.
I have to agree, we did wonder if someone had released them due to noise or Birdflu restrictions or fears of Birdflu, 4 Cocks does seem odd, my parents keep chickens and the hens get out just as well if their flight feathers grow quick enough :LOL:

Thank you

4 Cocks does seem odd,
Makes me wonder if someone is breeding them. Hen prices shot up during COVID as no one could get eggs and the chicken forums my wife frequents had a massive influx of new keepers. The downside to breeding though is that no one buys cockerels and you can't force the girls to just have more girls :(

Makes me wonder if someone is breeding them. Hen prices shot up during COVID as no one could get eggs and the chicken forums my wife frequents had a massive influx of new keepers. The downside to breeding though is that no one buys cockerels and you can't force the girls to just have more girls :(
That is another real possibility :(
Been recent egg shortages too, due to Birdflu and having to keep birds in barns.

Last edited:
"Excellent" wildlife style capture Gav, good stance with plenty of detail.

Back