Chicks first day home

Name
Wayne
Edit My Images
Yes
My chicks first day home. They bunched up like that after the car trip.

6yd1qp.jpg

Are they Rhode"s?

Yes Rhode island reds there is 6 of them i think they was hiding one. Got 2 more rescue ones since then that was been bullied in the main flock so we moved them to my garden with these. And i have no lawn left now just a mud pit after these have finished scratching about :bonk:

Good luck with your new chickens! I hope they are doing well :)

My brother and his girlfriend have four, (two brown and two white), they have no lawn either! :D

Yes Rhode island reds there is 6 of them i think they was hiding one. Got 2 more rescue ones since then that was been bullied in the main flock so we moved them to my garden with these. And i have no lawn left now just a mud pit after these have finished scratching about :bonk:

This may well be a daft question - but why keep chickens exactly??? Is it a business or a kind of pet that produces more than just turds :thinking:

DD

This may well be a daft question - but why keep chickens exactly??? Is it a business or a kind of pet that produces more than just turds :thinking:

DD

We have some chickens too. Its a bit of a pet thing really. You would be a long time recouperating your initial lay-out for a house, feeders, etc, etc at todays egg prices. You only get about 6 eggs a week per chicken (if you're lucky) so its perfect for your own family.
They're also superb to watch as a social entity, a bit like an aquarium in that sense. And they're not really much work, about as easy to keep as a rabbit or guinea pig really

We have some chickens too. Its a bit of a pet thing really. You would be a long time recouperating your initial lay-out for a house, feeders, etc, etc at todays egg prices. You only get about 6 eggs a week per chicken (if you're lucky) so its perfect for your own family.
They're also superb to watch as a social entity, a bit like an aquarium in that sense. And they're not really much work, about as easy to keep as a rabbit or guinea pig really

Ok - thanks for that :)

DD

If your Jacks are anything like mine, anything that has fur or feathers (not including dogs as she gets on well with them) is seen as a bit of a toy. She caught a pigeon a few weeks ago!

DD

It is a bit of a pet thing with something to watch out of the eight i get between 40 and 48 eggs per week out of them so some of the neighbours buy the extra ones from me for £1 for 6 so they do end up paying for themselfs in no time at all food is about £6.50 a sack that lasts over a month. Then they eat most of the scraps left from dinner ie the veg potato pealings the potatoes have to be boiled though. I also give them the sggg shells back i put them in the oven when cooking something else and it gives them extra vitimens.

DD

We've kept laying hens for years now and our eggs are quite simply, second to none. They utterly eclipse anything I've ever bought in a store.

Hands down, nothing comes close. The economics of chicken keeping are fairly amazing. The birds themselves pretty much look after themselves and the input costs are fairly minimal - eggs that are a close second are not cheep. CHEEP I said! Geddit?! :puke:

However, meat is another issue. I've just this year started raising birds for the table.

I appreciate it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea as you have to see the things from cradle to grave. Or cradle to gravy, as the case may be. :naughty:

But, a home reared free range bird that has unlimited access to paddock, bugs, spiders, worms and the odd handful of grain makes for the very best eating.

4162113695_6d877ff687.jpg

I recently blogged on the whole table bird experience, it may be interesting to anyone considering going down this route.

My family would never taste the difference anyway with the amount of Ketchup used on anything eggy :l0l:

DD

No no no no no! Brown sauce for egg related foods, always :LOL::razz:

If your Jacks are anything like mine, anything that has fur or feathers (not including dogs as she gets on well with them) is seen as a bit of a toy. She caught a pigeon a few weeks ago!

aye, thats the problem, they are both convinced they can have every bird... though whilst they are good at getting rats, they are useless at birds, never yet having actually got one in over 4 years. Obviously I wouldn't let chickens and dogs out in garden at same time, but I wonder how quickly they would get used to the chicks in the run or would it just be permanent anarchy :|

Yv they do get used to each other next doors dog just comes round and sits and watches them with a confused look on his face. As for the cat that used to come round after 8 chickend all trying to peck it all at once it doesn't come into the garden any more. :)

Back