Children's camera

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a couple of THESE - bought 2 so IF one gets FUBAR due to leakage etc., I have a spare. Quite often available cheaper than the 40 quid current price - I paid £25 for each of mine.

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend of mine has a budding little photographer for a son (his little sister is looking like she is going the same way). She just got him a decent quality compact used from FleaBay. Cheap as chips so no tears if it hits the floor! He is now nearly 6 and has been using it for 2 + years. I think it is an Olympus but the brand doesn't matter - just look for a good quality compact that is a year or two old as they go for peanuts and take quite nice images.

OP
OP
D
Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a couple of THESE - bought 2 so IF one gets FUBAR due to leakage etc., I have a spare. Quite often available cheaper than the 40 quid current price - I paid £25 for each of mine.
Do you have any photos taken with it?
A friend of mine has a budding little photographer for a son (his little sister is looking like she is going the same way). She just got him a decent quality compact used from FleaBay. Cheap as chips so no tears if it hits the floor! He is now nearly 6 and has been using it for 2 + years. I think it is an Olympus but the brand doesn't matter - just look for a good quality compact that is a year or two old as they go for peanuts and take quite nice images.
Good idea. I am a bit worried about buying electronics from ebay in that they might break etc.

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
I got our 11yr old something similar to that linked last year as a Christmas stocking filler - it was crap. Video from it certainly wasn't decent HD, it was grainy at best in good light. It did come with all the attachments to hook up to a bike/helmet, with underwater housing etc and she had a bit of fun using it for about a week!

Maybe @Nod can say how good the quality from the one he linked is? There's so many of them out there, most coming from cheap Chinese warehouses and a lot of them probably sharing the same internals, but there will be the odd gem

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
Good idea. I am a bit worried about buying electronics from ebay in that they might break etc.[/QUOTE said:
Well, as regards E Bay? I won't list my electronics purchases as there are too many, but I have been 100% satisfied with my Canon 1DX, 24-70 F2.8 L Mk2, 400 F2.8 L, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Canon S95 compact camera, Gitzo G1550T, Sirui P424 etc etc. You get the picture.

Yes avoid E Bay - leave the bargains for me!;)

Last edited:
Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
I got my 2 year old son a Nikon Coolpix rugged/waterproof camera. As he loved playing with my Canon/Fuji gear. He loves that it is a proper camera and I love that my kit is safe!

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Do you have any photos taken with it?

Sorry, nothing shrunk to forum friendly size. It does have the same shortcomings as all action cameras - the simple wide angle lens distorts a fair bit, especially when the horizon is close to the bottom of the frame but seems fairly robust. I threw it into the ring because you linked to a cheap action cam - the EvoDx one seems to beat it on paper.

OP
OP
D
Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I got my 2 year old son a Nikon Coolpix rugged/waterproof camera. As he loved playing with my Canon/Fuji gear. He loves that it is a proper camera and I love that my kit is safe!
How much did that cost?
Sorry, nothing shrunk to forum friendly size. It does have the same shortcomings as all action cameras - the simple wide angle lens distorts a fair bit, especially when the horizon is close to the bottom of the frame but seems fairly robust. I threw it into the ring because you linked to a cheap action cam - the EvoDx one seems to beat it on paper.
I just linked to that one because it was the first I found on line. Thanks for the idea.