Chill Out Time at the Lake.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Break_Time_at_the_Lake_01.jpg

C&C welcome!

26 views, no responses........

There's a lot going on in this one and despite me returning for another look or four can't help myself thinking that there's something a not right about it. Compositionally, I'm not sure what the subject is (Statue, man or ducks?) but becaue I keep looking at it not sure that this is actually a problem. Someone more knowledgable is sure to comment later. As a well exposed snap I think it's great, but otherwise think a different approach might have resulted in a better picture.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but just typing what I was thinking.

Cheers
Dave

26 views, no responses........

There's a lot going on in this one and despite me returning for another look or four can't help myself thinking that there's something a not right about it. Compositionally, I'm not sure what the subject is (Statue, man or ducks?) but becaue I keep looking at it not sure that this is actually a problem. Someone more knowledgable is sure to comment later. As a well exposed snap I think it's great, but otherwise think a different approach might have resulted in a better picture.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but just typing what I was thinking.

Cheers
Dave

Hey Dave, there's nothing "harsh" about that at all, my friend - very good of you to share your thoughts with me (y)!

I have the same sort of feelings about this one myself. When I took it, I was sure that the "mirrored" elements of the ducks taking a break, as well as the guy with his book, would somehow balance the shot and give it some kind of "reason for being" :D.

Compositionally, I was pretty limited, as the wall alongside this lake was very long and I so couldn't get round any further to shoot from the front (walking on water is not a gift that I possess either ;)). So, the only thing I had any control over was the framing :shrug:.

Oddly enough, I think that this crop works superbly, although it doesn't tell as much of a story as the original image ...

DSC_0024b.jpg

As for the "26 views and no replies" bit, that's certainly no record for my stuff :( (try over 100 :p)!

Thanks again for your opinion.

I've been looking at this for a while now as well.

Something seems a little "off" about the quality of capture in the first. (colour, contrast, when compared to the 2nd especially). But, we're all old enough to know that there are more important things than technicals like that. ;)

I think you have 3 main features, obviously, the ducks, the sculpture, the bloke. And a lesser 4th, the post in the water.

It should work, but I'm not sure it does. It could be the top left corner is too busy / distracting. I can imagine being frustrated by the same scene, as it reminds me of a few "almost" situations. Everything's there, but it's damn near impossible to frame right..

Ponder..

As above, my eye doesn't go staright to the man, everything is in focus. Could have done with a larger f number.

Crop is sooo much better. Agreed some elements of the story are missing, but it just sits better on the eye (and imagination - but that could be just me).

Obviously the subject is now the man, but the oof boat, statue and post all seem to complement this now rather than distract. Knew there had to be an angle there somewhere. Well spotted (y)

I really like the cropped version and think that, oddly enough, it tells more of a story as there's a bit too much going on in the original to be able to focus on any one particular aspect. (y)

Thanks everyone :)! It's so rare for me to get any kind of concenus on the stuff I post here (usually too many things to dislike for everyone to agree :D), but this time I think we all know what's wrong with the first - it's just too busy and it doesn't work.

I'd like to share the story of this shot with you, if I may?

Basically, I was out by the lake, looking for shots with people in (rather than full-on "street portraits"), when I spotted this guy in his very nautical looking attire, chilling by the waterside. I knew that I wanted to capture the sense of tranquility, especially as the lighting on him was good.

Unfortunately, the wall on which I was sitting was quite a popular spot and when I arrived, two girls were sitting on it chatting and blocking most of my view to the subjuect :|. I thought about pushing them both into the lake, but then got a hold of myself and realised that I couldn't possibly do that :| - the ripples would spoil my shot :LOL:!

So, as soon as they'd gone, I tilted the camera to portrait view and took the shot which became the second one that I posted (it wasn't exactly a "crop" as I called it before). Then, as I was fiddling around looking for something in the camera bag, those three ducks that you see in the foreground flew up onto the ledge, thinking that I was getting some food out for them (I suspect).

Anyway, having expended all of that energy for nothing, they then proceded to settle down and go to sleep :cautious:. At first, I was ****ed. Then, trying to make the best of a (seemingly) bad situation, I decided that they might actually compliment the whole "tranquility" theme rather nicely and went about framing the next shot to include them.

On the way home, I was excited, as I thought that I finally had a "great shot" on my SD card (it's never seen one before, so I was worried that there might be a "format error" :D).

After I'd played around with it for a while, I stepped back, looked at it and realised that something just felt wrong - I could have cried (like this ... :crying:). So, I thought that I'd offer it up here, for dissection.

The bottom line? well, I think that I was just being too ambitious and was photographing with "my brain" and not with "my eye" (let alone "my heart").

Still, at least I have one good version of it, in the second post. It's no good for the "Landscapes" section of my website now, but at least it's an acceptable "portrait".

Thanks again for the input, folks!

On the way home, I was excited, as I thought that I finally had a "great shot" on my SD card

You did, it just wasn't the one you were thinking of :D

Back