Beginner Chinese girl in a park

There's some nice stuff in this, I like the composition particularly. There's also some stuff needs work, her skin looks very cold and the tree growing out of her head isn't great. If you'd stepped to your left a little you'd probably of avoided this

There's some nice stuff in this, I like the composition particularly. There's also some stuff needs work, her skin looks very cold and the tree growing out of her head isn't great. If you'd stepped to your left a little you'd probably of avoided this
Hi, thank you very much for your reply and comments. I like this composition as well. I agree with you about the tree growing out of her head. I would pay more attention to background when I take a shot a people in the future.

I agree with the above, furthermore I think that having the trunk in view instead of the empty path would probably been better composition wise as it would be on topic, with her holding the leaf iyswim.

I know you are a beginner but I just wanted to say that it's hard to critique a photo taken on full auto, on anything other than the composition.

Welcome to TP by the way :welcome:

I agree with the above, furthermore I think that having the trunk in view instead of the empty path would probably been better composition wise as it would be on topic, with her holding the leaf iyswim.

I know you are a beginner but I just wanted to say that it's hard to critique a photo taken on full auto, on anything other than the composition.

Welcome to TP by the way :welcome:
thank you very much for your comments and welcome. yes, I agree with you about the position of the trunk. I used Program Mode, and when I took this shot, I just manually set ISO value. Yesterday I just learned some knowledge about Aperture Priority mode, I think for photos like this should use Aperture Priority mode and use a big aperture. what do you say? btw, I don't like PS very much. (sorry English is not my first lauguage)

thank you very much for your comments and welcome. yes, I agree with you about the position of the trunk. I used Program Mode, and when I took this shot, I just manually set ISO value. Yesterday I just learned some knowledge about Aperture Priority mode, I think for photos like this should use Aperture Priority mode and use a big aperture. what do you say? btw, I don't like PS very much. (sorry English is not my first lauguage)

Yes, for sure Ap would have been my choice here - with an aperture similar to what you have as it happens! the shallow depth of field forces the attention on her and the leaf, the background slightly out of focus but still legible keeps things in context without drawing the eye. Your English is great btw. ;)

Yes, for sure Ap would have been my choice here - with an aperture similar to what you have as it happens! the shallow depth of field forces the attention on her and the leaf, the background slightly out of focus but still legible keeps things in context without drawing the eye. Your English is great btw. ;)
thank you so much. :ty:

Jason, why don't you experiment with the manual mode or at least the aperture priority mode for portraits. Also, you say you are a beginner so my advice to you would be to look at portraits by other photographers and try to emulate first, especially in terms of composition. PS isn't as scary as you think and with a few tutorials you can easily find online there's tons of stuff you can learn.

Back