Chittagong Life (new pictures added)

Edit My Images
Yes
I will post a few pictures here and will add to this thread as I process some of the pictures of a recent trip to Bangladesh.

I know that photographs where the subjects are of poverty and homelessness are provoking issues for some. There are many countries where these elements are a far more frequent than Europe and are part of the fabric of life, and without a doubt there are many stories for the subjects to tell.

Bangladesh TP October 2022-13.jpg
Here someone sleeps at a train station platform trying to shade from the brutal sunlight. As usual it has come out soft from resizing for TP (I have no idea how to keep these images sharp for the forum!).

Thanks for looking.

Z

As usual it has come out soft from resizing for TP (I have no idea how to keep these images sharp for the forum!).
If you have a Flickr account (for example) linking to the photo there will allow people to click through and see it full size/resolution. :)

I'm sorry we have to restrict image size, but to allow full resolution would require us to purchase a lot more storage and bandwidth for the forum which we simply cannot afford to do. Using the Flickr approach, or similar, gets around the restriction as Gramps says.

I used to have a Flickr account but I closed it a number of years ago - but may have to sign myself up for a new one @gramps.

@lindsay totally understand on the storage costs as it wouldn’t be cheap…

Bangladesh Street Food Scene

Amongst the alleyways, markets and sweatshops in Chittagong the waft of some incredible smelling food drew me to a simple area of concrete where steam and smoke was being held captive by a tarpaulin roof. Inside a team of guys had a line of caulrdrons bubbling away from the wood and charcoal fires, others were chopping impossible amounts on red onions and chillies, and it all smelled amazing.

Bangladesh Street Food Scene

Amongst the alleyways, markets and sweatshops in Chittagong the waft of some incredible smelling food drew me to a simple area of concrete where steam and smoke was being held captive by a tarpaulin roof. Inside a team of guys had a line of caulrdrons bubbling away from the wood and charcoal fires, others were chopping impossible amounts on red onions and chillies, and it all smelled amazing.

Very nice candid street style capture, liking this pic' very much.

On to the next couple of photos - I am doing them on the hop as I sift through them over the little time I have over the weekends.

Bangladesh is a relatively small country but has an enormous population - it is a country where so much relies on manual labour, and here a couple of guys take a break between off loading boats laden with sea salt.

Off loading the boats is hard work, physically scooping out the loose cargo and then placing the baskets on their heads whilst walking a bouncy plank. At the weighing station the baskets weighed between 45-55KG, with each labourer being paid by the trip - on average 150 trips per shift.

At the fish market in Chittagong was full of hardy looking men mending their nets and recuperating before heading back out to the Bay of Bengal for up to two weeks at a time with their crew mates on wooden ships that look like old pirate vessels.

Now that's a great beard! :)
Enjoying these, I loved to get amongst the real people when travelling abroad but didn't really have the same interest in photography then ... too much time on work!

Nice set, Although the guy cooking stands out for me, I have to agree with Roger, that is one impressive beard.

Great set, I particularly like the net maker ;)

Staying away from any moral questions and even if considering them I think it's important that we witness... even if it doesn't actually help.

Anyway. I think they are all striking pictures in their own right and for that, well taken and well done OP :D

Thanks for the comments. Here is a couple more and then it will be on to the next place....

As well as visiting the ship breaking yards, we hopped on a small boat and within the river inlet there was a small shipyard building and repairing wooden boats. It was bizarre how a bunch of tourists were able to hop off a boat and wander around as the yard teemed with work and they were happy for us to be there.

The foreman here (another excellent beard) @gramps was directing operations as a ship is pulled up from the river to be careened and re-caulked using the oldest winch and dodgiest cable I have ever seen. If it not broke don't fix it though, and it seems to work...

The yard was pretty productive, everyone was working and using skill to fabricate and assemble timber sections for the ships. This is the front end of a keel being shaped using a tool that was razor sharp and would be dangerous in the wrong hands. Here it was used on teak, and the guy's craftsmanship on the sections that he had already completed was first rate.

And then back to where this thread started - the train station. I think this guy was having a midday nap from breaking bricks to be used as railway ballast, but not sure. Despite the heat, noise, fumes, chaos, smells and general activity a few meters from him he was happily slinging out zed's and fair play to him.

Thanks for looking

Z.

Great additions ... @zaytsev there must be some significance in the beard colouration?

You are correct @gramps. I think that in Islamic culture men are allowed to colour their greying hair (with anything other than black) and it was said that the prophet Muhammad used henna which is orange/red in colour.

You can see it in Dubai particularly amongst Pakistani and Bangladeshi men, but not so much the Arab population.

Last edited:
You are correct @gramps. I think that in Islamic culture men are allowed to colour their greying hair (with anything other than black) and it was said that the prophet Muhammad used henna which is orange/red in colour.

You can see it in Dubai particularly amongst Pakistani and Bangladeshi men, but not so much the Arab population.
Thanks for the explanation. :)

Back