Choice for competition

Name
Nicolas
Edit My Images
Yes
I started macro photography last june with a nikon 105mm, it is a great lens ! By chance, I noticed on my town's website that there is a photo competiton "Small animals in you garden". I am submitting 5 photos to you so that you can help me choose 2 of them (a limit of 2 entries per candidate).
Thank you for your help !
Nicolas.

I like 3 and 5 but would imagine the bright colours of 5 would put it ahead in the competition.

difficult...they all can be improved
1 rear highlights could be toned down...this is the best for me
2 animal is lost in a yellow sea
3 lot better and my no 2 choice..crop out some of the stem..its leading nowhere
4 too far over to the right but possibly an entrant if you crop the shot in half
5 narrow field of interest and lots more green to detract

so thats 1 and 3 with 4 a possiblity

having said that...a lot better than my attempts...the ones i took today of a lady bird which sat for ages for me...all blurred and out of focus

Last edited:
Definitely 3, no question. I don't think there much need to crop it at all, I guess you could take a little off the stem, but for me it works pretty much how it is.

Then it's between 1&4. 1 is really nicely lit, although I agree you could tone down the highlights in the background a bit - they are a little distracting. 5 I like because it's an unusual subject which makes it stand out a bit for me. I also think it's a really nice shot.

I'm not great at the technicalities but I know what I like. I've been swaying between all of them, except 2 which is a bit too much yellow. Think my favourites are 3 as it is, and 4 if it is cropped a bit. I think no.1 is nicely lit but find the background a bit distracting. No.5 is good but (and it is only my personal opinion) doesn't show enough of the bug.
Good Luck with the competition, let us know how you get on.:)

Thanks everyone for your input. Votes so far :
#1 : 3 votes
#2 : 0 votes
#3 : 5 votes
#4 : 2 votes
#5 : 1 vote

I have cropped #4 a bit, what do you think ? I quite like the empty space on the left...
I now think it is between #1, #3 and #4...

PS : Does anyone know what this tiny thing is ?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what this tiny thing is ?

I was hoping you would tell me.
I also like 1 3 & 4 now edited
My only thoughts now regards the comp just how many moths and ladybirds will the judges have to sift through, along with the good old snail. This to me can work two ways, a, the judges can compare one shot against another the sharpest being the winner or something like no 4 totaly different will take their eye. but find out what it is coz you will probably be asked.
Just my opinion of course. Got any woodlice out there they can be fun to get pics of.

Most definitely 1 and 3 for me. Fantastic shots! Think you've got this competition in the bag!
Steve.

#1 & #5. Or maybe swap one for #4 (un-cropped).

#2 and #3 are no where near the same level I don't think.

Only problem with #1 is the horizontal grass cutting through the subject, otherwise it would be a cracker, lovely light.

I'd probably run with #5, really nice tones, and the focus appears to be bang on at this size. Hard to see, but #4 looks like the far side of the insect could be in focus rather than the head?

OK so #5 is the first one going in because it seems to generate a lot of attention from you (not always positive but it does attract the eye !). Hesitating between #1 and #3. If the background was better on #1 then I wouldn't hesitate. On #3 I like the texture on the shell and I like the colours but it is only another ladybird ... (boring ?). The red aphid (#4) can't seem to please really, there is something not quite right about it (focus is an issue, yes Jayst84, btw love your site!). Or maybe I should just risk #4 because there can't be a lot of pictures of aphids in a competition !

Back