Choice of Lenses

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Can't make up my mind to buy a Tamron 18-400 or a Sigma 100-400 Lens. It will be used on a Nikon D7200. Have trawled the net and read many
reviews about both lenses; but none are positive one way or the other. Anyone on this forum has/had one of these lenses; if so what was your
findings. Thanks for any help on this quandary.

@mikew has the Sigma 100-400 and might be able to give you some pointers :)

Ime very happy with the 100-400 for wildlife,if i was younger and fitter i would have a 150-600 but its too heavy for me,what do you want to do with it.

These are at 400mm

37195491426_350a1a4546_o.jpg

36789005156_8c5524fa2f_o.jpg

These are at 550mm with the 1.4 converter

36797054801_3ba4caa606_o.jpg

36541242190_fca444a485_o.jpg

This is at 290mm with the 1.4 converter

37150106920_2bf0179d08_o.jpg

I can put more up if you want.

The Tamron will be compromised on quality with that zoom ratio.

Choose the Sigma or try the 150-600 Contemporary.

An amazing lens. Shame you have a Nikon body, I'm selling my 150-600 in Canon fit

Thanks for your reply and photos. I have the Tamron 150-600 but due to health issues am finding it to heavy to carry around.
I wanted a longer reach lens for some wildlife shots and also off shore boat/ship shots living in Plymouth; as I have the best of
both worlds ( seascape and landscape, i.e. the moors). I also use a D800 with a 24-120 F4 lens for general walkabout. We only have
LCE in Plymouth now as a dedicated camera shop. They have the Sigma in stock; but will only order the Tamron if it is a dedicated
sale. So can't compare them both side by side. Again thanks for your reply.

Can't make up my mind to buy a Tamron 18-400 or a Sigma 100-400 Lens.

You are not comparing similar lenses although you are comparing similar numbers. The Tamron is a DX lens. The Sigma is a a full frame lens. So in Nikon crop terms you have to multiply the sigma focal length by 1.5 so it becomes 150-600mm equivalent to DX lenses. I would not buy a lens doing what the Tamron does (but I do have 2 tamron lenses). The more length a zoom tries to cover the less the likely quality.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply and photos. I have the Tamron 150-600 but due to health issues am finding it to heavy to carry around.
I wanted a longer reach lens for some wildlife shots and also off shore boat/ship shots living in Plymouth; as I have the best of
both worlds ( seascape and landscape, i.e. the moors). I also use a D800 with a 24-120 F4 lens for general walkabout. We only have
LCE in Plymouth now as a dedicated camera shop. They have the Sigma in stock; but will only order the Tamron if it is a dedicated
sale. So can't compare them both side by side. Again thanks for your reply.

Similar problem to me then the 150-600s are just too much for me, i have had them up to a couple of years ago and i did borrow one when i was waiting for the 100-400,thats why i tried the 1.4 not the best solution but at least its not heavy.

You are not comparing similar lenses although you are comparing similar numbers. The Tamron is a DX lens. The Sigma is a a full frame lens. So in Nikon crop terms you have to multiply the sigma focal length by 1.5 so it becomes 150-600mm equivalent to DX lenses. I would not buy a lens doing what the Tamron does (but I do have 2 tamron lenses). The more length a zoom tries to cover the less the likely quality.

Not quiet correct the 400mm FOV will be the same with both 400mm lenses,

Not quiet correct the 400mm FOV will be the same with both 400mm lenses,
If you say so, the nikon lenses I have looked at always go narrower when FF is on crop sensor (that on the manufacturer's specification).

EDIT. Cr@p what I wrote above. You are correct.

Last edited:
We only have
LCE in Plymouth now as a dedicated camera shop.

Might be worth a call to Mifsuds up in Brixham to see if they have both in stock. They might even have 2nd hand ones. No Jessops in Plymouth these days? Again, might be worth a call to their Exeter store.

Can't make up my mind to buy a Tamron 18-400 or a Sigma 100-400 Lens. It will be used on a Nikon D7200. Have trawled the net and read many
reviews about both lenses; but none are positive one way or the other. Anyone on this forum has/had one of these lenses; if so what was your
findings. Thanks for any help on this quandary.

One lens has the big virtues of bigger aperture and better optical quality, the other has the advantage of much lighter weight and focal length versatility. It's comparing melons and grapes. If you're finding it so hard to choose between them, that is perhaps an indication that you should buy both. :)

I used the sigma 100-400mm at Silverstone this year. IQ is very good. OS isn't great though, you can barely see it working though the viewfinder so I don't think it will give you many stops image stabilisation.

I used the sigma 100-400mm at Silverstone this year. IQ is very good. OS isn't great though, you can barely see it working though the viewfinder so I don't think it will give you many stops image stabilisation.

Did you put it on the dock and change it, i can see it working in mine now, i think its called active.

Did you put it on the dock and change it, i can see it working in mine now, i think its called active.
Don't have a dock. Weird it's not great straight out of the box.

Back